New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Moving to school in one week, but I have a beer in the primary!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl724 View Post
Thanks guys...unfortunately I won't be able to transfer in a month from now. Will aging the bitter around 75-80 be a problem for a couple weeks? My basement gets a little warmer during the summer and I don't know if I can rely on my family to cool off the carboy while I'm gone.
If it's fermented out then it should be okay... can you lay your hands on a rubbermade tub/ storage bin and a t-shirt? Putting the fermenter in the tub with water and a t-shirt over it to wick the water up WILL cool it down a bit, even without someone adding frozen bottles of water every few days.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #22
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Out of the 6 batches I have made, the only one that I wasn't happy with was the one that I rushed.

Let it be. There are worse things than waiting a few more weeks for your home brew.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #23
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just wanted to interject quickly here.....that SUCKS you have to go back to school this early, I practically just went on summer break! Rough, anyway, good luck! I would def. let it sit, nothing good comes from rushing brew. Plus, the beer will only be aged more if you let it sit, but the beer might not be ready/ ruined if you rush it. You decide

Old 06-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #24
nl724
Recipes 

Over the past few days I have been testing out the wet t-shirt method for cooling the carboy in order to see how effective it is before I leave, but it doesn't seem to work that well. I think the only way for it to work well is to use ice as well. Any last suggestions on topic thread in general or cooling a carboy...I have to make my decision tonight after work, so last call for advice!! By the way, thanks to all those that have chimed in

Old 06-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #25
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

I wrote up what I've been doing in someone's thread yesterday.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=703214&postcount=6

I've managed to keep the temps below 70 for 2 weeks now, (With temp spikes in my apartment into the 80's- I refuse to turn my air on yet) without being too consistant with adding frozen water bottles...I've only added them every couple of days.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply