New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Moving to school in one week, but I have a beer in the primary!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl724 View Post
Yeah I guess...I just figured that the less you expose the wort to open air the better off you are...so If I can avoid it, why check using a hydrometer for three days in a row?
But you're not exposing your beer to oxygen by taking the airlock off and dipping your wine thief in there (especially if you are using Better Bottles or carboys). First, there is a blanket of CO2 on top of the liquid. Second, diffusion of oxygen into water-like liquids is *extremely* slow - it'd take hours if not days for any noticeable oxidation to occur. As long as you don't splash or stir the beer, you have nothing to be worried about. Just make sure your sanitation is up to par so that you don't introduce any undesirable microorganisms into the brew.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Quote:
Yeah I guess...I just figured that the less you expose the wort to open air the better off you are...so If I can avoid it, why check using a hydrometer for three days in a row?
If it hasn't changed in three days then fermentation is complete...Some people do it twice, skipping a day in between...It's the same principle.

But If you are leaving your beer in primary for a month there's no need to take it, because you aren't determining if it's done fermenting to rack...Since I started doing that, I just wait and take it at bottling time to calculate ABV.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 06-02-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
nl724
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If it hasn't changed in three days then fermentation is complete...Some people do it twice, skipping a day in between...It's the same principle.

But If you are leaving your beer in primary for a month there's no need to take it, because you aren't determining if it's done fermenting to rack...Since I started doing that, I just wait and take it at bottling time to calculate ABV.
Okay...cool...I might start changing my technique. I have mostly fermented with dry yeast, and so it is really obvious...at least I think?...when fermentation completes. Usually it is done in about 3-4 days and then I transfer to a secondary a few days later. I used to just transfer from primary to secondary after one week, leave in the secondary for a week or two and then bottle. This method has produced pretty good results with the yeast.

I have never solely used a primary...I might try this with the Ordinary Bitter because the English ale yeast is supposed to produce fairly clear beer.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
conpewter

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It somewhat depends on how your stock of homebrew is, if you have enough to last till july, I'd say the safter method is to secondary till then. Otherwise I'd leave it in primary till the last day, check that it is done (estimated FG) then bottle it and condition in bottle.

Quote:
since I am leaving for Purdue Saturday morning!!
The other option is to go to a good school like Indiana University

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:

I have never solely used a primary...I might try this with the Ordinary Bitter because the English ale yeast is supposed to produce fairly clear beer.
I never did either, and something happened and I didn't have time to either rack or bottle, and having read about yeast cleanup post fermentation, I decided to leave it...and like I said earlier, WOW! Big difference.

I did yooper's Dead guy clone this way, and it is like a jewel in terms of clarity, and it tastes amazingly crisp and clean.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
nl724
Recipes 

Quote:
I never did either, and something happened and I didn't have time to either rack or bottle, and having read about yeast cleanup post fermentation, I decided to leave it...and like I said earlier, WOW! Big difference.

I did yooper's Dead guy clone this way, and it is like a jewel in terms of clarity, and it tastes amazingly crisp and clean.
What percentage of your brews do you only use a primary fermentation vessel? How long do you leave them ferment in the primary for, on average?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #17
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5730 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 568

If it were me, I'd just skip the 1st week of school!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #18
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
What percentage of your brews do you only use a primary fermentation vessel? How long do you leave them ferment in the primary for, on average?
Lately it has been 75% are in primary for a month then to bottle (right around 3 1/2 -4 weeks depending on my schedule.)

I'm only using a secondary now if I'm planing on adding, or think I may be adding something to the beer. For example a fruit beer; I'd rack the beer onto fruit in the secondary. (I just did that for a mead.)

I secondary my ginger orange dortmunder, I have found that it usually benefits from having a 1/2 cup of pasturized orange juice added to it.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #19
A4J
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
I know you asked Revvy but my last 5 batches were only done in primary at exactly 1 month (give or take a couple of days). They've all been super clear.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
nl724
Recipes 

Quote:
Lately it has been 75% are in primary for a month then to bottle (right around 3 1/2 -4 weeks depending on my schedule.)

I'm only using a secondary now if I'm planing on adding, or think I may be adding something to the beer. For example a fruit beer; I'd rack the beer onto fruit in the secondary. (I just did that for a mead.)

I secondary my ginger orange dortmunder, I have found that it usually benefits from having a 1/2 cup of pasturized orange juice added to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J View Post
I know you asked Revvy but my last 5 batches were only done in primary at exactly 1 month (give or take a couple of days). They've all been super clear.
Thanks guys...unfortunately I won't be able to transfer in a month from now. Will aging the bitter around 75-80 be a problem for a couple weeks? My basement gets a little warmer during the summer and I don't know if I can rely on my family to cool off the carboy while I'm gone.

Quick Reply