New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Moving to school in one week, but I have a beer in the primary!!




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,292
Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl724 View Post
Yeah I guess...I just figured that the less you expose the wort to open air the better off you are...so If I can avoid it, why check using a hydrometer for three days in a row?
But you're not exposing your beer to oxygen by taking the airlock off and dipping your wine thief in there (especially if you are using Better Bottles or carboys). First, there is a blanket of CO2 on top of the liquid. Second, diffusion of oxygen into water-like liquids is *extremely* slow - it'd take hours if not days for any noticeable oxidation to occur. As long as you don't splash or stir the beer, you have nothing to be worried about. Just make sure your sanitation is up to par so that you don't introduce any undesirable microorganisms into the brew.


__________________
The Fiesty(sic) Goat Brewery est. 2007 & Clusterfuggle Experimental Ales est. 2009
Planned: sLambic II, Flanders Red II
Primary: Fat Man Porter, Orange Blossom Mead, sLambic I
Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I
ArcaneXor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,782
Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl724 View Post
Yeah I guess...I just figured that the less you expose the wort to open air the better off you are...so If I can avoid it, why check using a hydrometer for three days in a row?
If it hasn't changed in three days then fermentation is complete...Some people do it twice, skipping a day in between...It's the same principle.

But If you are leaving your beer in primary for a month there's no need to take it, because you aren't determining if it's done fermenting to rack...Since I started doing that, I just wait and take it at bottling time to calculate ABV.


__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew


Last edited by Revvy; 06-02-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
nl724
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If it hasn't changed in three days then fermentation is complete...Some people do it twice, skipping a day in between...It's the same principle.

But If you are leaving your beer in primary for a month there's no need to take it, because you aren't determining if it's done fermenting to rack...Since I started doing that, I just wait and take it at bottling time to calculate ABV.
Okay...cool...I might start changing my technique. I have mostly fermented with dry yeast, and so it is really obvious...at least I think?...when fermentation completes. Usually it is done in about 3-4 days and then I transfer to a secondary a few days later. I used to just transfer from primary to secondary after one week, leave in the secondary for a week or two and then bottle. This method has produced pretty good results with the yeast.

I have never solely used a primary...I might try this with the Ordinary Bitter because the English ale yeast is supposed to produce fairly clear beer.
__________________
nl724 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
conpewter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
conpewter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East Dundee, Illinois
Posts: 5,088
Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

It somewhat depends on how your stock of homebrew is, if you have enough to last till july, I'd say the safter method is to secondary till then. Otherwise I'd leave it in primary till the last day, check that it is done (estimated FG) then bottle it and condition in bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl724 View Post
since I am leaving for Purdue Saturday morning!!
The other option is to go to a good school like Indiana University
__________________

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

conpewter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,782
Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl724 View Post

I have never solely used a primary...I might try this with the Ordinary Bitter because the English ale yeast is supposed to produce fairly clear beer.
I never did either, and something happened and I didn't have time to either rack or bottle, and having read about yeast cleanup post fermentation, I decided to leave it...and like I said earlier, WOW! Big difference.

I did yooper's Dead guy clone this way, and it is like a jewel in terms of clarity, and it tastes amazingly crisp and clean.
__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
nl724
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I never did either, and something happened and I didn't have time to either rack or bottle, and having read about yeast cleanup post fermentation, I decided to leave it...and like I said earlier, WOW! Big difference.

I did yooper's Dead guy clone this way, and it is like a jewel in terms of clarity, and it tastes amazingly crisp and clean.
What percentage of your brews do you only use a primary fermentation vessel? How long do you leave them ferment in the primary for, on average?
__________________
nl724 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #17
AZ_IPA
PKU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 40,604
Liked 5730 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Default

If it were me, I'd just skip the 1st week of school!

__________________
AZ_IPA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,782
Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl724 View Post
What percentage of your brews do you only use a primary fermentation vessel? How long do you leave them ferment in the primary for, on average?
Lately it has been 75% are in primary for a month then to bottle (right around 3 1/2 -4 weeks depending on my schedule.)

I'm only using a secondary now if I'm planing on adding, or think I may be adding something to the beer. For example a fruit beer; I'd rack the beer onto fruit in the secondary. (I just did that for a mead.)

I secondary my ginger orange dortmunder, I have found that it usually benefits from having a 1/2 cup of pasturized orange juice added to it.
__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #19
A4J
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
A4J's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: the Desert, CA
Posts: 1,346
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl724 View Post
What percentage of your brews do you only use a primary fermentation vessel? How long do you leave them ferment in the primary for, on average?
I know you asked Revvy but my last 5 batches were only done in primary at exactly 1 month (give or take a couple of days). They've all been super clear.
__________________
Primary 1: pale ale
Primary 2: blondie


My mid-century modern keezer build thread.
A4J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
nl724
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Lately it has been 75% are in primary for a month then to bottle (right around 3 1/2 -4 weeks depending on my schedule.)

I'm only using a secondary now if I'm planing on adding, or think I may be adding something to the beer. For example a fruit beer; I'd rack the beer onto fruit in the secondary. (I just did that for a mead.)

I secondary my ginger orange dortmunder, I have found that it usually benefits from having a 1/2 cup of pasturized orange juice added to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J View Post
I know you asked Revvy but my last 5 batches were only done in primary at exactly 1 month (give or take a couple of days). They've all been super clear.
Thanks guys...unfortunately I won't be able to transfer in a month from now. Will aging the bitter around 75-80 be a problem for a couple weeks? My basement gets a little warmer during the summer and I don't know if I can rely on my family to cool off the carboy while I'm gone.


__________________
nl724 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving primary for bottling..? Deuce Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 01-02-2013 11:15 PM
moving from primary to secondary JamesL Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 07-14-2009 04:33 AM
How gentle do I need to be moving to primary? impatient Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 01-06-2009 02:33 PM
Moving the primary cfos Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 02-05-2008 07:07 PM
Couple newbie questions about siphoning and moving beer from primary to secondary MrEcted1 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 02-13-2006 06:00 PM