Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > More IBU needed, post kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default More IBU needed, post kegging

So long story short, I bombed my rye ipa recipe. I'm left with an overly sweet beer. I'm looking to add some ibu's. My question is, can I boil some hops in water and then add the water to my keg?

Seems I would get very good utilization and have a nice concentrated liquid to pour in the keg.

Any ideas?

Todd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could definitely do that. You might want to add a touch maltodextrin or some other sort of unfermentable carb just to make sure you don't water your beer down. You should also calculate your evap rate to make sure you end up with a very small amount a hyper-concentrated hop tea.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Since the best you can do is 90-100 IBU, you won't get much increase. Say you boil up two quarts at 90 IBU. add that to 5 gallons. 8-9 IBU, which is detectable. Boiling more & trying to concentrate it won't help, the extra will just drop out. Hop extracts are made using high pressure CO2.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Since the best you can do is 90-100 IBU, you won't get much increase. Say you boil up two quarts at 90 IBU. add that to 5 gallons. 8-9 IBU, which is detectable. Boiling more & trying to concentrate it won't help, the extra will just drop out. Hop extracts are made using high pressure CO2.

Well doesn't that just suck. I guess I'll just suffer through it.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'd try it. Boil an ounce of hops in about a gallon of water for an hour, you could do a late addition of 1lb of light DME and then let it ferment for a week. Rack to that keg. You could experiement with mixing by mixing your rye with other beers in the glass. Maybe mixing half IPA with half Rye is more balanced? Just pour like that. I do that with my (too sweet) Stout. About 1/3rd IPA in that stout comes off like an amber of sorts. Not great, but not as bad as the stout by itself either.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If it isn't TOO sweet, you can sometimes trick your palate into thinking the beer is more bitter than it is by (1) dry-hopping it with at LEAST an ounce of hops (two or more might be appropriate for an IPA), and (2) increasing the carbonation level. Both will mask/overcome the sweetness.

I had a couple of AG recipes where mash temp was too high and the beers were too sweet for me, and the combination of dry hopping and increased carbonation made them very drinkable!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a hop tea on several occasions of 1 oz of hops to 1 gal of water.

About 1/2 of the water boiled off.

It took 3 C of tea to get the bitterness where I liked it.

On the other hand you can double up on the hops and only boil 1/2 hour for the same bitterness.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Don't get me wrong, 8-9 IBU is noticeable and if you are willing to dilute it further, you could boost is 16-18 IBU. Bear in mind that diluting the batch will also dilute the ABV & sweetness, which will make the flavors more balanced. .

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
kvh
Recipes 

Dogfishhead has a creation called Randal the Enamel Animal, which is essentially a water-filter casing that they cram full of hops, and plug their beer line into it (and back out) before it hits the tap. It apparently only works well with the high ABV beers because it's the alcohol that strips the oils from the hop flowers..

Regardless, I feel like this could be an easy build. I was thinking hard about it and decided a mason jar with an in and out port in the lid (same set up as a keg would have - one long line, one short) cram packed with hops, might let you add hop (flavors, maybe, aromas, yes) on the fly.

Any weldless compression fitting, stainless steel in and out would work great I think. I have plans to build one down the road (I'm finishing the kegerator currently).

kvh

Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You want to be careful with the mason jar idea because it's not rated for pressure. The filter housings can handle the typical pressure in a keg so that's why they're used. You'll also need a way to coarsely filter out any leaf hops from getting through. Grain bag? I pretty much think tossing a hop bag into the keg is a poor man's compromise to building a randall and gets you 90% of the effect.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply