Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > More Belgian Yeast Character

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I don't think you're waiting long enough. High gravity belgians reward those who wait. Anthing over 1.060 should have plenty of belgian character using 3787 Westmalle yeast. I pitch at 62, hold at 64 for 2 days, and then ramp up to 70 over the next 6 days for my belgians. And pitch proper amounts of yeast/aerate at pitch. Plenty of belgian character, but it may not show up until 3-6 months in the bottle. The tastes really keep evolving as it sits in the bottle. After 18 months, my first batch is heavenly. Only 6 left however.

Best advice is to get a pipeline going for Belgians. The first year sucks as you have nothing to drink. But then you just need to keep brewing at an equal rate of consumption after that.

Good post. Most brews can be drunk as soon as they are carbonated. Belgians are drinkable young but truely develop their true flavor with time in the bottles. It can take months for the flavors to really kick in. I have a good pipeline of Belgians that continue to change with age. It seems about 4 months is the points where they really begin to shine.

Set some aside for at least 3 months and taste them again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #22
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp137 View Post
I would assume that the filtering of the old primary yeast does not remove the yeast character. That the yeast character in these beers is not created from the dosing of the yeast at bottling it is created during primary fermentation. Is this a correct statement?
They don't always filter. Some places filter, some centrifuge, some cold crash, some use clarifying agents. I don't know enough of the various outcomes to tell you what happens with each, but each option has some degree of negative outcomes to the final product.

The yeast character is primarily a result of initial fermentation. The bottle conditioning can be done for, a. tradition, b. carbonation, c. character and flavor development, d. as a sales pitch, e. shelf life / product stability, f. some or all of the above.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #23
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I usually place my belgians in the fridge for a couple of weeks before I consume them anyway. So there is little to no yeast left in suspension. Those that have sat for 9-12 months are crystal clear anyway.

Primary #1: Ice Shanty Bock #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Empty
Kegged
: Hidden Lake Nut Brown, Border Crossing Vienna
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: ??

Quick Reply