MLT temperature extratification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borisfa

Reaction score
On my HERMS, after measure temperature on HEX output and HEX input, I found about 5-6°C. How I control temperature by HEX output and the HEX input (MLT exit) is colder 5-6°C I am not achieved beer full body (all beer done are taste dry). So, I would like to know how and where do you set your temperature probe to achieve full body beer, knowing that is possible have diference in temperature that can not activative alfa amilase fully - unfermentable sugar (I set 69°C).

I am using chugger pump to move wort to HEX. Other important information (I think its now): when I achieve the temperature target (eg: 69°C) I drop the grains and its is sufficient to drop temperature inside de MLT. Could be by not using strike temperature that is done this result? The strike temperature is about 75°C, so the HLT would be about 77-78°C. After drop grain and recirculating the wort, I imagine that the wort on HEX output after drop grain will be about 74-75°C and I ask: could this temperature inactivate ensimatic activite?

Thanks,

Fabiano

PS.: Sorry for my english.

Do you stir or recirculate the water in the HLT? That helps with temperature stratification.

You generally want to strike with water that is warmer than your desired mash temp.

I preheat my mashtun by adding the strike water to it at 82C, and let it cool to 75C before adding my grains. That gives me a perfect mash temperature for my system of 67C. It's important to stir the grain in thoroughly, so that all of the grain is wetted and the temperature is equalized throughout the mashtun.

I "lose" three degrees farenheit from my HLT temperature to my mash temperature, so I set my PID for 69C.

Anyway, 69C is a pretty warm mash temperature. When you say all of your beers are finishing dry, is that by final gravity measurements, or by taste perception? Sometimes astringency comes across as "dry", but it is a sensation and not actually from a dry beer.

Do you stir or recirculate the water in the HLT? That helps with temperature stratification.

You generally want to strike with water that is warmer than your desired mash temp.

I preheat my mashtun by adding the strike water to it at 82C, and let it cool to 75C before adding my grains. That gives me a perfect mash temperature for my system of 67C. It's important to stir the grain in thoroughly, so that all of the grain is wetted and the temperature is equalized throughout the mashtun.

I "lose" three degrees farenheit from my HLT temperature to my mash temperature, so I set my PID for 69C.

Anyway, 69C is a pretty warm mash temperature. When you say all of your beers are finishing dry, is that by final gravity measurements, or by taste perception? Sometimes astringency comes across as "dry", but it is a sensation and not actually from a dry beer.

Yooper, thanks for your reply. First of all, when I add grains I stir them on the first moment and no more. After that, only recirculate the water/wort.

The dry sense is related like beer done only with beta amilase.

See my setup pic attached.

Fabiano

1412589308317.jpg

Back