Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Minimum time before bottling, assuming healthy fermentation?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
caphector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 184
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Minimum time before bottling, assuming healthy fermentation?

I've been reading up on fast, low-gravity beers, and I've seen that the keys to a healthy fermentation are pitching a good starter and good temperature control.

I've got a stout I started on Saturday; it's a 1.044 beer that I pitched a good starter to. Picked up right away, bubbled like mad for a day and then finished up at 1.014, one point above my expected FG. I need to do a second check to confirm that it's stable, but (pending that) would it adversely affect the finished beer to bottle it?

My samples haven't shown any off-flavors at this point, so I'm not sure how much the yeast will clean up.

Normally I'd just let it go for three weeks as normal, but my dad will be in town this weekend (seven days from brewing) and it'd be fun to bottle with him.

__________________
caphector is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Netflyer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Benedict Maryland
Posts: 812
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphector View Post
I need to do a second check to confirm that it's stable, but (pending that) would it adversely affect the finished beer to bottle it?
Do a 2nd and a 3rd check. Make sure you have stable gravity for 3 days. You want to impress your dad but not with glass grenades. I'm a 3-4 week guy too because I can wait though... I'm also afraid of the boom boom danger and mess.
__________________
Primaries:


Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Netflyer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
caphector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 184
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Yeah, I don't want bottle bombs; I'm keeping a close eye on the gravity (just checked again, down to ~1.011 since Monday). If I don't have three consecutive readings that are the same then I won't bottle. It'd be cool to bottle with him, but not required. He can just come back to try the beer.

__________________
caphector is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
malkore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
malkore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 6,922
Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

I say leave it. it can be hard to detect off flavors in 6 day old beer...just too green and 'wild' with no subtleties yet.

Unless you work at Budweiser, beer should not go from grain to can in under 7 days

__________________
Malkore
Primary: English Mild
On tap: Pale Ale, Lancelot's Wheat, English Brown Ale, Steam Beer, HoovNuts IPA
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10
malkore is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
mgo737
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 194
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I personally think 2 weeks is plenty for a 1.044 beer. I do 2 weeks for just about everything and it works for me.....

__________________
mgo737 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
caphector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 184
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

For those that see this thread later, I decided not to bottle. Gravity was stable for three days running but I didn't have the time to get the bottles I needed. Dad'll have to be content with the RIS that was bottled a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the responses!

__________________
caphector is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
meddin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 334
Default

I would wait another couple of weeks. At least

__________________
meddin

Primary 1 - Engish Mild Ale
Primary 2 - Three Dog Pilsner
Secondary - Empty
Keg 1 - English ESB
Keg 2 - Scottish 70-/
Keg 3 - Commercial EPA
meddin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm assuming the answer to this question is YES and RDWHAHB, but... damdaman Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 01-27-2010 12:30 AM
I'm assuming an infection cimirie Fermentation & Yeast 7 08-09-2009 04:16 AM
Healthy fermentation summersolstice Mead Forum 3 07-06-2008 03:56 PM
Minimum "Safe" Notty Fermentation Temp? Evan! General Techniques 9 03-25-2008 10:29 PM
Minimum Lagering Time Evets General Techniques 3 03-19-2008 01:42 AM