Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Milk vs Lactose

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
C-Fizzle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Milk vs Lactose

I saw 1 thread on this topic from 2007 and wanted to get any recent input especially if anyone has used powdered milk or liquid milk in a beer (particularly a stout) as a substitution for lactose powder.

My personal line of thought is that lactose powder likely wasn't around when milk stouts were originated, so they were probably just adding milk to their stouts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 152

IMHO, I think adding milk or powdered milk is a terrible idea. It would be way worse than adding beats to your beer because you want to get some simple sugars. Lactose sugar does not contain the fat nor the whey or casein proteins - it's "purified" sugar.

However, if you do try this, please share your result because I'll have to rely on others experimentation with this one

Old 07-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Fizzle View Post
I saw 1 thread on this topic from 2007 and wanted to get any recent input especially if anyone has used powdered milk or liquid milk in a beer (particularly a stout) as a substitution for lactose powder.

My personal line of thought is that lactose powder likely wasn't around when milk stouts were originated, so they were probably just adding milk to their stouts.

No, they weren't adding milk. If you add milk to beer you're going to get cheese. I love cheese with beer but not together in the same container. Milk stout gets its name from the lactose, AKA milk sugar.

Quick Reply