Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Which Microbrews Can We Steal Yeast From?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
alcibiades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Default Which Microbrews Can We Steal Yeast From?

Palmer's book talks about harvesting yeast from bottle conditioned beer, and cites belgian wit, trappist ales, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (I didn't know SNPA was bottle conditioned!) as good candidates for this method.

Does anybody have a list of Microbrews that are "yeast-stealable?" It's hard to look for yeast sediment in a dark brown bottle at the store, especially if it's in a box.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Sadly this list is not that up to date...but it is the closest resource many of us use....

Yeasts from Bottle Conditioned Beers

Many of us harvest pacman from some of the rogue bottles. Bell's yeast has been succesfully harvest. I brewed recently with some captured saison dupont yeast.

Those not on the list can often be figured out with some online detective work....most brewery websites will mention whether or not they bottle condition, and whether or not it is the original strain....

For example, brewery Van Steenberge (the brewer's of Piraat) specifically state on their website that they use a different strain for bottling.

So it isn't really hard to dig around to find out what's available beyond the list.

I often google names of beers with the words "bottle harvesting" to see what has been talked about on the internets...For example http://www.google.com/search?q=bottle+harvesting+saison+du+pont&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a netted me one thread from here where someone was successful....that and some other internetting can often even tell you what strain they use, often it is the same stuff we get from the yeast manufacturers anyway....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You might be forced to buy a few bottles of beer and drink the beer before you can checkout the yeast. Sounds like it might take a lot of research and a new wiki page.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
biggben
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I know that Irish Death from Iron Horse brewery has live yeast in it

Old 03-13-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
Portah
Recipes 

Sam Adam's has the Alpine nonfiltered this would work...

Old 03-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've successfully harvested and fermented beer using New Glarus' wheat strain.

Quick Reply