Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Metallic Taste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
dsmithpdx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Metallic Taste?

I brewed a batch of IPA two weeks ago (extract plus grains). I drew a sample on Saturday, and it has a distinct metallic aftertaste. I did use a new stainless steel brewpot and false bottom purchased from my LHBS, but my understanding is that stainless steel should not impart any metallic tastes.

Yesterday I took the lid off the brewpot with the false bottom in it, and smelled it. Smelled like metal to me! I took out the false bottom, and rinsed/scrubbed it, as well as the brewpot. Now the brewpot doesn't smell metallic at all, but the false bottom does have a bit of a metal smell (especially on the welds).

Has anyone had this happen to them? Was there a specific type of prep I should have done to the false bottom before using it? Is there any chance that the metallic flavor will fade with time?

Thanks!
Doug

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Metal smelling like metal is not something to freak out about. I vote your beer is green, 2 weeks is not long enough to judge the final taste. Wait and see what the master jedi's have to say...

Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I've had it a couple of times.
Once when brewing with an enameled steel pot with a chip in it. I noticed the chip after the brew, and immediately retired the pot.
The other time was when using Wyeast 1028. After about 3 weeks in the keg, it tasted very metallic. I put the keg to one side for 4 - 6 weeks, and then tried it again. It was fine.

-a.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm convinced that my 'no rinse' iodophor was doing the same thing to my beers. Of course it could have been that I was not diluting enough.

Quick Reply