Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > metallic taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #21
Rick500
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just popped open the first of my batch of IPA (NB's Two-Hearted Ale clone).

It's only been two weeks since I bottled, so I was expecting it not to be completely carbonated yet, and it's not, but no problem there.

It does, however, have a slight metallic taste that I'm trying to pin down a reason for. There was a bit of a milky-looking film on top of the beer in the bottle that I haven't encountered before. I noticed it a couple days after I bottled, but I figured it was just bottle krausen. If so, though, I would have expected it to be gone by now, two weeks later.

I noticed when I bottled, that the bowl of sanitizer that I had soaked the caps in, had a little bit of rusty color to it when I was done capping.

I'm not sure if the batch is infected, or if something is going on with the caps.

Hoping the metallic taste will fade (although it's not horrible as-is). I'll give it a couple more weeks to fully carbonate and try another one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #22
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Hello everyone, new to the forums, haven't brewed yet and have been reading a lot and came across a possible reason for metallic tastes. I was reading extreme brewing and it noted that adding oxygen late in fermentation can cause metallic or cardboard flavors? So maybe if you tend to move your carboy during fermentation you could be oxygenating it. Just throwin it out there as an option.... once again read this out of Extreme Brewing; An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer At Home. location 962 on android kindle, or ~27% through the book

Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #23
ChadChaney
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had the same issue a time or two and pinned mine down to steeping grains to hot, incorrect sanitizer ratio and old malt. My last Rogue Brutal IPA clone was that way and the hop aroma and flavor seemed to fade less than 3 weeks after kegging and I have no issues with this keg in the past. When I looked closer at the dates, the hops were from the 2009 harvest! Could be the culprit!?

Old 05-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
icanbenchurcat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just made an ipa that still needs a few weeks in secondary dry hopping, but I tried a sample and it tastes metallic. I am hoping it will fade with time, but the malt I used was from glass jars, but could have been somewhat old. The hops I used may have been subjected to improper storage? (75-80F)

It's not over powering, but it somehow reminds me of the hops' bitterness, and I think they are the culprit for me.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #25
erockomania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm finding I get this taste on beer hopped with Centennial (just one hop I tend to use a lot with highish levels or myrcene). IME, it's high myrcene levels which can add just a touch of metallic flavor. This flavor tends to fade a bit as the ale mellows but also, while noticeable in the first few sips, it can become "invisible" shortly thereafter.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #26
yeastforbrains
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It has been mentioned before in this thread. Oxidation, especially in its early stages, lends a metallic flavour to beer! Unless you take active measures to avoid it, it is highly likely that your home brew will suffer from oxidation issues and pick up this specific metallic flavor, that in effect dulls your beer. For example, if when your beer reached fg, and you move it to a secondary fermenting vessel with a significant head-space, it will quickly pick up the oxygen and develop the metal flavor. There's a link between what we refer to as metallic flavor and oxygen. Everybody knows with first hand experience that oxygen has a significant chemical impact on (untreated) metals. This chemical reaction can be observed as it results in stains and rust over time, but is also instrumental to what causes the metal to emit what we think of as metallic flavor or aroma. In fact, it is only untreated metal that emits this particular smell, and I especially notice it when I rinse and brush my cast-iron frying pan under running, hot water, or when I polish stained brass or copper. If you play the trumpet, you're an oxygen flavor connoisseur! In contrast, stainless steel cutlery does not emit that smell at all, because there's no oxygen reaction. Unlike untreated metals, beer doesn't rust or stain (hmmm, well, perhaps it actually does), but it is influenced by the same flavor impact. Over time, the oxygen flavor will change, and it will also start influencing your beer color - perhaps by similar reactions to those causing metals to stain and rust?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #27
zsasbo
Recipes 

I have to concur here. Been brewing for 18 years now and my process has evolved over the years. At one point I was pumping my wort continuously during the boil through my counter-flow chiller as a disinfecting technique and letting the wort splash back into the boil kettle. I started noticing metallic tastes in my darker beers. I only pump now for 10 minutes to disinfect and the tip of the hose is submerged so as to eliminate as much contact as possible to the air. This is also talked about extensively as pre-mature oxygenation of hot wort. Never oxygenate your wort until it is thoroughly cooled for a variety of reasons. This has turned out to be one of them IMHO.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #28
IJesusChrist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Interesting...

I wonder what could be oxidizing to give such flavors.
A quick google search popped up that yeast nutrients have Zinc & aluminum in them, often.

I'm not sure, but I would assume zinc oxide and aluminum oxide would definitely give off-flavors. But these concentrations are so small... Perhaps there are trace metals in the grains that oxidize.

An interesting problem. My stout came off terribly metallic, which is why I'm here. I definitely did add a lot of oxygen to it, after transferring to secondary fermenter and bottling...
Bummer, was really excited about this one too. Smelled delicious.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #29
Chelle
Recipes 

Has anyone ever had their brew tested (chemist) when the metallic taste is present? Is it safe to drink?

Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #30
IJesusChrist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
Has anyone ever had their brew tested (chemist) when the metallic taste is present? Is it safe to drink?
Lol. You can't go to a chemist and say "Hey whats in here that gives it this metallic taste?" That's unfortunately, very difficult to do. Especially if the chemist has no idea what it could be. (I'm a chemist)

And yes its safe to drink.

So far my thinking is that the metallic taste is from yeast & cloudiness from the fermentation. After having the product bottled for about 1.5 weeks the metallic taste is quickly disappearing. Give it another month and I'll bet I wouldn't even know it was there at all.

Quick Reply