Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > metallic taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
clemson55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default metallic taste

Apparantly my stout has a metallic taste. At least thats what the judges from the competition I entered it in said. They said it might have been infected. The only thing I found about metallic taste was caused by the pot during boil but I have a stainless pot with no scratches or anything so I dont think that was the issue. Has anyone else had a mettallic taste in their beer or any suggestions on how to prevent it again? Besides sanitize everything.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 03:26 AM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson55
Apparantly my stout has a metallic taste. At least thats what the judges from the competition I entered it in said. They said it might have been infected. The only thing I found about metallic taste was caused by the pot during boil but I have a stainless pot with no scratches or anything so I dont think that was the issue. Has anyone else had a mettallic taste in their beer or any suggestions on how to prevent it again? Besides sanitize everything.
Is it the same stout you sent on the Swap?

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
Tankard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson55
According to "How to Brew"

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours.

It states that stainless steel won't give off these flavors, so I'm really not sure what the problem might be.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Metallic off flavours are hard to pin down. They sometimes pop up for no rhyme or reason, and then disappear again for a while. Even Jamil Zainasheff has mentioned he has encountered them and can't explain them.

A good friend of mine had it happen to him a couple of times. He suspected that it was the hops he was using (sorry -- I can't remember what they were, except that they hadn't been stored very well). Others link it to oxidation of wort compounds. Off flavours from a brew pot are also a commonly cited source of metallic flavours, but it doesn't sound like this is the case in your situation.

If you do figure out the cause, please post back and let us know.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #5
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I am convinced that most metallic flavors are a combination of roasty flavors and oxidation. At least with me, whenever I have gotten a metallic flavor, it has been in roasty beers (stouts/porters) and I had reason to believe they may have been oxidized, particularly when I bottle from my cobra taps.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Was your extract from a metal can? Pineapple from a metal can tastes metallic as opposed to fresh pineapple. Avoid malt extract in metal cans if possible.

Forrest

Old 04-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It is the same stout I sent for the swap granted it has been a couple extra weeks since you drank it.

The LME was from those plastic jugs and the PB came from a jar.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead

Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

It also could just be your water. Some water supplies have a high iron content.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 04-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My water tastes just fine straight from the tap but I filter it before brewing with it just to be sure.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty

Old 04-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

What about the bottle caps? When you washed them they did not rust or anything right>?

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Quick Reply