Messed up with gypsum - any fix before dump???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewellsar

Reaction score
I made the White House Honey Ale from an all-grain kit from AHS. First time to deal with gypsum, and stupid me just assumed the bag was premeasured. As soon as I threw it in the boil, I realized my mistake.

Anyway, it's in the keg now and of course has that nasty mineral well water type taste. Any ideas on fixing or at least masking the taste at this point? I like hops, the more bitter the IPA the better. Could I take whatever hops I have laying around and dry hop the crap out of it in the keg? Dump a bottle of flavoring in? Or am I just better off dumping this mess out?

Advice appreciated.

The gypsum has become calcium and sulfate ions in solution. There are ways that you can precipitate those ions out. Somebody who actually knows needs to answer for you, but this can work. If nobody answers here, start a thread in the Brewing Science section. Better yet, keep searching for a thread that already deals with it, because I know I've seen it. I'm pretty sure we'll find that it said Isinglass is positively charged and will precipitate the sulfate out.

Back