Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > measuring gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #1
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default measuring gravity

when measuring OG i found my beers were coming out on the heavy side and was thinking my numbers were skewed due to all the garbage still in the wort. My last batch i took a sample and instead of measuring the gravity right away i let the sample sit for 15 minutes, lots of material settled out. I poured the top liquid portion into my vile and let it sit again before putting the hydrometer in it.

Is this correct practice for measuring OG or am i way off base?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe View Post
when measuring OG i found my beers were coming out on the heavy side and was thinking my numbers were skewed due to all the garbage still in the wort. My last batch i took a sample and instead of measuring the gravity right away i let the sample sit for 15 minutes, lots of material settled out. I poured the top liquid portion into my vile and let it sit again before putting the hydrometer in it.

Is this correct practice for measuring OG or am i way off base?
My question is why do you have so much junk in your wort? The only time I've had actual bits sticking to my hydrometer is when pulling a sample out of a seconary that I was dry hopping. I'd say the technique sounds correct for the amount of junk in your sample, but how are you getting the wort off of the trub and into the primary after your doing boiling/cooling the wort?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #3
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Unless the junk is stuck to the hydrometer, it wont effect your readings but nothing wrong with being safe and thorough. SG is a measurement of density so it is only effected by what is dissolved in the liquid, not anything in suspension.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

just pour from my kettle

Quick Reply