*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Measuring & Controlling Fermentation Temperature

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I drilled a small hole undersized slightly from the diameter of a long stemmed thermometer into the plastic bucket primary lid. I just stick a sanitized thermometer into the hole. Reads smack in the middle of the liquid.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcsatx
This seems to be the optimal solution. Did you specially modify a vinyl blow cap to accommodate the probe? Can you post some pictures of your set-up? To me, if this can be done without risk of contamination this is the way to go. Your controller is actually controlling the temp of your beer throughout the fermentation process prior to secondary storage. I am getting ready to order two brewers edge controllers with the probe and heat package to control temp throughout the brewing process. I imagine the heater will rarely be needed in my neck of the woods.
I actually don't have any pix of it set up, but it's pretty simple. I took a carboy cap and stuck the thermowell tube in the airlock hole (it wouldn't fit in the other nipple), and taped around to seal it up - it wasn't a super tight fit so I wanted the extra protection. Then I run a blow off tube off the other nipple. The only downside is that the carboy cap nipples are so small that the blowoff tube can't be very big. I have a couple of new undrilled rubber stoppers on the way that I am going to drill specially for the thermowell and a nice big blow off tube. I'll post up a pic when it's done.

Wow -I said nipples like 3 times and never meant anything dirty about it!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I'd just like to tack the following onto this discussion:

Some yeasts are extremely temperature sensitive, and you may have to control temperature quite precisely in order to get the desired results. (Hefeweizen yeasts, for example, can yield quite different flavor results if fermented a degree lower or higher. And many Belgian strains will get stuck if they go below 65 F)

However, temperature stability is generally much more important to good brewing results than absolute temperature control. Basements are great in this regard: even if it's a degree or three above or below the ideal temp, steady temps over the course of active fermentation will yield maximal results.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
However, temperature stability is generally much more important to good brewing results than absolute temperature control. Basements are great in this regard: even if it's a degree or three above or below the ideal temp, steady temps over the course of active fermentation will yield maximal results.

I couldn't agree more.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
HopfulAddiction
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Resurrection of an ancient thread, but seemed the best in my search. From what I gather even though I ferment in my basement, which fluctuates a few degrees. I Just so happen to ferment in a nice protected spot which just so happens to be in a laundry sink that never gets used. I should fill the sink with water to keep the temps more stable due to the additional thermal mass?

Follow-up question is this more important in primary fermentation or secondary? I'm not sure I have room for the ale pail and a carboy or 3.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 755 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Yes, the extra thermal mass helps dampen the temperature fluctuations. You can use ice packs or an aquarium heater to help control them more yet if necessary. The critical time for off flavors is the initial 2 to 4 days as the yeast propagate and go through the fast part of the ferment while there is a lot of sugars present. Once the ferment slows you can let it warm to room temperature which may help get to the proper final gravity and take care of some of the esters that give off flavors.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #17
HopfulAddiction
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My temps fluctuate in great ale temps 62 to 68, but if I can make it better by adding a few gallons of water to the 'shelf' I ferment on why not. Looks like i can only fit one container so primary it is.

Quick Reply