New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Maximum time to leave beer in primary fermenter...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 04:21 AM   #21
BrianG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Im on my first brew and the kit I got suggested the following:

ferment for 3-8 days (whenever bubbling stops in the airlock)
bottle it, and wait another 3 weeks.

This is for a belgian wheat ale...

does that sound right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2007, 04:56 AM   #22
Bosh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG
Im on my first brew and the kit I got suggested the following:

ferment for 3-8 days (whenever bubbling stops in the airlock)
bottle it, and wait another 3 weeks.

This is for a belgian wheat ale...

does that sound right?
Well with wheat ales you should drink them pretty young, but 3-8 days is still pretty damn short...

On deck: Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Bourbon Red Ale
Bottled: Dunkelweizen and Dunkel

Old 10-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #23
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

All my beers stay in the primary for 2-4 weeks before bottling. I only secondary if I need to free up a primary. My secondary carboys get used mostly for Apfelwein and cider.

Its important to understand that fermentation involves more than just converting sugar to alcohol. Yeast produce a lot of by-products that they later reabsorb or otherwise clean up. This process is aided by leaving the beer in contact with the yeast cake.

Autolysis seems to be going the way of hot side aeration - urban myth. If you pitch with clean, healthy yeast and keep the beer in the proper temp range, a month or more in primary is perfectly safe.

Like Bobby_M, I've listened to many of the Jamil shows. Jamil is adamant that he gets consistently better results using primary only. He's winning all kinds of awards, year after year, and nothing speaks as loudly as success.

Primary/Secondary: #105 APA, #106 American Wheat

Kegged: #102 Brown, #103 Red, #104 ESB

Planned: IPA, Northern English Brown

Old 10-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #24
Robar
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The only time I use the secondarys is when I'm adding junk which isn't very often or when I need the yeast cake the beer is sitting on. The later is usually the case.

I like Cake!

1st Primary:Cacade/Orange Pale
2nd Primary:Wild Hop Pale
secondary: Inspired Clone

Kegged: Edwort's House Pale, Honey Porter, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter

Old 10-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #25
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

mine have been in primary three to six weeks lately. i've cut out secondary, unless it's a big big beer that's gonna bulk age for months.

i've not noticed anything out of the ordinary, except i've got less carboys to clean now

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #26
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A thought,

when doing a long primary, are people using glass, better bottles or plastic food grade buckets?

Just wondering cuz i've read everywhere that plastic "breathes" or allows for oxygen transfer into the beer, and everybody knows o2 and alcohol are to be avoided. It maybe that 4 weeks in plastic just isn't long enough to affect the beer with o2.

I'll do a poll, if I can.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #27
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Put me down for extended primary fermentation and no secondary (can't be bothered with the whole secondary process).
My best beers to date have always been ones that have sat in the primary for ages.

Did two almost identical brown ales (just a slight diff in the amount of choc malt used) with just a few days between them, the first was dragged of the yeast cake and kegged after about 12 days, the other sat on the yeast cake for ages, months down the line the one that had sat in the primary for longer was still the far superior brew.
As far as im concerned the extended conditioning on the primary yeast cake made a huge difference.

Edit: BTW my primary is a good old fashioned plastic bucket.

Last edited by delboy; 10-18-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #28
max4677
Recipes 

I use glass and plastic interchangeably as primaries or secondaries. It depends on what I am making and what I have available. I try to do the 3 gallon wine kits in my 5 gallon glass to reduce head space, but thats' about it.

bigben:

Ever thought about coming out to a meeting? Either go to the link in my signature or stop by BeerCrafters and pick up a pamphlet there.

1. Slyfox 2008 Dunkelweizen
2. None

Bottled:
None

Brewing:
None

Old 10-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #29
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

I only use glass carboys(until I get my conicals) and I've left beers in primary for a month with no adverse effects. IMHO, fermentation temp is WAY more important that time in primary

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #30
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I take it from the consensus here that even extended periods in the primary are not affecting the clearing of the beer (speaking from a bottling perspective)?

I think I'm going to try this with my pale next week. 4 weeks primary and then into bottles for another 4 weeks or so.

Quick Reply