Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Maximum time to leave beer in primary fermenter...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
max4677
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maximum time to leave beer in primary fermenter...

Last night my homebrew club had our monthly meeting and we got into a fairly heated debate over the merits of not taking beer off of the trub for long periods of time.

I personally have gone as long as three weeks because of scheduling problems and the like, but I don't think it is a great idea. Most of the members present felt that the "standard" seven to ten days is the longest time you should let it sit in the primary. I agree with that sentiment.

However, one member said he has been hearing of a lot of people leaving it on the trub for up to six months without ever transferring it. We all thought that was not good for the health of the beer.

Even if lagering it, you generally want to remove it from all the decaying yeast, break material, etc. before doing so, correct?

So what do you think? Is it acceptable to let beer sit for extremely long periods on the trub from the primary fermentation stage? If you have tried it, what was the longest period of time you went before transferring/kegging/bottling?

1. Slyfox 2008 Dunkelweizen
2. None

Bottled:
None

Brewing:
None

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'll defer to the 2007 AHA Nationals Ninkasi award winner Jamil Z who claims his beers improved when he stopped using a secondary on most of his low to mid gravity beers. He primaries for 3-4 weeks. He argues that removing the beer from the large mass of yeast too quickly substantially prolongs the conditioning process. I mean, if you have the extra time to secondary (most don't), it won't matter that much. In any case, if I can muster the discipline to leave beers in primary longer, I'll do it.

I don't mean to be such a fanboy, but as soon as someone with a dissenting opinion starts winning that many first place awards at major competitions, I'll consider the debate live and well.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I leave most of my beers in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks. In a couple cases, they've gone 8 weeks. I never enter any contests, so I can't say they are award winners. Haven't had anything bad happen, though.

Several people on the board have left batches in the fermenter for 8-12 months.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
neuron555
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Belgian Tripel that is still fermenting at 3 weeks (see that thread). I was worried that it was stuck, but the gravity is still slowly falling

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

Neuron Nanobrewery

Old 10-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've gone 5 weeks one time, but that was dropped to 39 degrees till I got around to kegging it. No problems. Tasty Beer.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 10-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts

Default Longest Time In Primary?

I usually leave mine in the primary until it stops bubbling. (So about 3 weeks) The longest I think its been was 6 weeks. Its was a lager and I had it at about 62-64F the whole time. (Used Superior Dry Lager) Never had any bad side effects. In fact it was pretty damn drinkable.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 10-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Aging is all important! If I check my beers by tasting them I find that they stedially improve over 6 weeks. Let's face it, we usually dring beer too early. sweeter/stronger beers require more time to condition. weaker beers take somewhat less time. If you drink a beer that has been designed to be a sweeter beer ie: "brown Ales" too soon then are not balanced and are too sweet. Just wait 2 weeks and they are the nectar of the gods. Enough said!!!

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 10-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC
Aging is all important! If I check my beers by tasting them I find that they stedially improve over 6 weeks. Let's face it, we usually dring beer too early. sweeter/stronger beers require more time to condition. weaker beers take somewhat less time. If you drink a beer that has been designed to be a sweeter beer ie: "brown Ales" too soon then are not balanced and are too sweet. Just wait 2 weeks and they are the nectar of the gods. Enough said!!!

I usually don't drink anything before 3 months old unless its a Hefe. I put everything in the beer fridge after its carbed. I generally have a big enough supply that I don't have to drink young beer.

Back on topic - I think too much time on the yeast is a paranoia that was initiated by brewers of BMC ilk . When you make beer without much flavor or body you have to worry too much about off flavors and faults. We shouldn't have that problem.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 10-07-2007, 01:54 AM   #9
max4677
Recipes 

Hrmm. Not exactly the responses I was expecting.

David: Do you mean in the primary for 8 to 12 months or secondary for that amount of time?

Are these sitting periods mostly with darker/higher gravity beers? Lagers or ales? Should they sit in the primary for weeks after the primary fermentation has since quit?

I have a mild ale going right now that I'm not sure I would want sitting around for that long. Now the celebration I plan on making tomorrow, I could see letting sit in the primary for 4 weeks if necessary.

Please forgive the questions, but this type of information flies right in the face of everything I have ever read in books or kit instructions.

1. Slyfox 2008 Dunkelweizen
2. None

Bottled:
None

Brewing:
None

Old 10-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

4 weeks usually. Gives time for the yeast to "clean up" byproducts of fermentation.

Quick Reply