Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 'Mash Out' - Necessary step?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #41
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bctdi View Post
I always open my valve partially to avoid a stuck sparge.... Not that I ever have , but just to set the grain bed.... I may be able to go faster if I tried.
I open it about a quarter of the way during vourlauf until it runs clear, then let it drain to the kettle at the same speed for a minute or two and then slowly and gently crank the ball-valve to full-open. Works like a charm and is pretty quick. Never had a stuck sparge on a normal mash... now, adding a few pounds of pumpkin is another story.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #42
cklages
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't think that we batch spargers really need to worry very much about stuck sparges. I mean worst case scenario, the valve gets shut off, you stir and vorlaugh, and do it again just a little slower. It might add 2 minutes to your day but is hardly a disaster. Thats one of the benefits we get in exchange for a little lower efficiency.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #43
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't mash out because there's no room in my mash tun. Hot sparge water is my approach.

And for my batch sparge runoff, I open it full bore right away and let it rip. I find that gives me a higher flow rate for longer than when I used to try to only open the valve halfway. My chemist co-brewer says it's because when you runoff more slowly, the particles have more of a chance to find the optimal fit with each other, and so end up more compressed. I dunno, but sounds logical and works in practice for me. YMMV.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #44
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do not do a mash out, mostly because i don't have a fired MT. However, I bumped my sparge water to about 182 a year ago. My mash bed (depending on size) ends up being around 167-168F, so I have accomplished what a mash out does, for the most part, just in a different fashion. I also moved most of my mash times down to 40 minutes for most brews when I raised my sparge H2O temp, and have brewed my best beers ever this way (all my comp submitted beers were in the high 30's and low 40's).

Old 01-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #45
tnbrewer371
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

when fly sparging and doing a mash out step, do you stir in the mash out addition water to ensure good thermal distribution to ensure the entire grain bed reaches 168? also with fly sparging you should never run the mash tun dry correct? also when doing your mash out step is it okay to add really hot water 200+ water in small quantities to get the grain bed to 168? im having trouble calculating my mash water volumes and still have enough water to sparge with and hit my boil volume, and not have to boil for forever?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #46
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbrewer371 View Post
when fly sparging and doing a mash out step, do you stir in the mash out addition water to ensure good thermal distribution to ensure the entire grain bed reaches 168? also with fly sparging you should never run the mash tun dry correct? also when doing your mash out step is it okay to add really hot water 200+ water in small quantities to get the grain bed to 168? im having trouble calculating my mash water volumes and still have enough water to sparge with and hit my boil volume, and not have to boil for forever?
I don't stir because I use a herms setup, so I just circulate until I reach 168-170f. On my old setup I would add near to or boiling water and throughly stir it in, no problem doing that. Beersmith works well with giving you your volumes, give it a try.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #47
chelero
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm an all-grain just trying to grasp this and the beersmith mash function. so, if my recipe says this:
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 6.12 kg
Sparge Water: 7.44 L Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 15.96 L of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 6.38 L of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

does that mean add the 16L of water, leave for 45min, then add 6.38L at 196F, and leave for 10min, then drain, and THEN add 7.44L of water (sparge) at 168F, and drain again? just trying to get all the steps right. thanks for the help

Old 03-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #48
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelero View Post
I'm an all-grain just trying to grasp this and the beersmith mash function. so, if my recipe says this:
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 6.12 kg
Sparge Water: 7.44 L Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 15.96 L of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 6.38 L of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

does that mean add the 16L of water, leave for 45min, then add 6.38L at 196F, and leave for 10min, then drain, and THEN add 7.44L of water (sparge) at 168F, and drain again? just trying to get all the steps right. thanks for the help
You got it.

I also don't mash-out. My tun is too small, but my lautering never takes more than 5-10 min for the first runnings. I just lauter into the brew pot with a low flame, that denatures the enzymes for me. I've been able to produce all sorts of varying fermentability. That being said, I'd mash out if I had the room.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 03-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #49
chelero
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

word! thanks

Old 05-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #50
FireRescueFL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbrewer371
This is EXACTLY the post I was about to type.

So the consensus is that it is safe to add near boiling water to the mash and stir to get the mash to ~168* and from there recirculate to clear any small hunks, and then fly sparge with 170* water to maintain that temp until you reach your boil volume? Then just waste the remaining water from the MLT that doesn't make it to the brewpot?

---Chris
Primary #1: Cider
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty
Primary #4: Empty
Secondary #1: Empty
Secondary #2: Empty
Keg #1: Red IPA
Keg #2: Miller Lite (yuck)
Keg #3: Empty
Keg #4: Empty

Buy a man a brew and he'll waste an hour,
Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime!

Quick Reply