Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 'Mash Out' - Necessary step?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #31
HItransplant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperGrandma View Post
As Scutmonkey mentioned, batch spargers tend to not mash out. Mostly because they don't need to.

If you're doing a partial mash, you probably would rather batch sparge anyway. Fly sparging would be tough with a stove top partial mash.

What I would do with a PM is to mash in with 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. After the mash is over, you could lift up your grain bag and just dunk it into the sparge water. Or, you could lift up the grain bag and pour 170 degree water over it, up to the boil volume.

You could heat up the kettle, but you do that anyway when you bring the wort up to a boil so I don't see the point or necessity of a mash out. I'd prefer using any water as sparge water, as I think you'd get more out of the grain that way if the volume amount would be an issue.
ah, that makes sense... thats what I was originally told to do anyway. Thanks

EDIT: Graeme-- thanks for letting me sneak a question in on your thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #32
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I fly sparge everything (just bc of my set up, 5 gal bucket w/false bottom and a paint strainer bag with sparge arm) but it is harder and more temp critical

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 09-01-2010, 02:43 AM   #33
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
I don't do one. I batch sparge. It literally takes me 3 minutes to drain the mash and add the first sparge bring the grain up to 168. The initial run off is drained into the boil kettle which I start heating while the 1st and 2nd sparge are conducted. To do a mash out would be completely dumb for my setup. For others it may help.
I batch sparge and don't typically mash out either, but there is one thing to consider:

When you take the first runnings, the enzymes will still be active for as long as it takes for you to take the second runnings and get the thing up to the "magical" 165 degree mark. For some, who like to let the batch sparge settle for 15-20 minutes, the time could add up.

You seem to reduce this time by heating the first runnings while you are batch sparging, but others (i.e., myself) don't necessarily do that. I guess that means I'm getting a bit more activity than I thought I was...

Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 AM   #34
kwantam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I batch sparge and mashout. I minimize the amount of water I need to add for mashout by calculating the amount of boiling water needed to get the tun to 168F. I built a temperature controlled HLT that holds my sparge water, so I can just boil in a small pot on the stove and dump that into my mash when I'm ready to mashout.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:16 AM   #35
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
I batch sparge and don't typically mash out either, but there is one thing to consider:

When you take the first runnings, the enzymes will still be active for as long as it takes for you to take the second runnings and get the thing up to the "magical" 165 degree mark. For some, who like to let the batch sparge settle for 15-20 minutes, the time could add up.

You seem to reduce this time by heating the first runnings while you are batch sparging, but others (i.e., myself) don't necessarily do that. I guess that means I'm getting a bit more activity than I thought I was...
You are correct. This is one of the two reasons I start heating up the wort as soon as it's in the boil kettle. With such a small volume of roughly 2 gallons I can get it up to 168 in a very short time. Additionally, it allows me to start heating the wort up to achieve a boil in an overall faster time.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:43 AM   #36
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Fly sparge I run about a quart per min...

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 09-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #37
bctdi
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksmitty View Post
When mashing at about 154, batch sparging, about what temp do you need the sparge water to be in order to raise the grain bed to 168? Or does the amount of sparge water make too much difference to give an accurate answer? I have beersmith at home, so I'm sure I can play with that for each brew, but figured I'd see if there is a rule of thumb.

BTW Yoop, that is a great picture in your avatar!
193 deg. water brings it up to 167-168 pretty much every time for me....I use a 48qt igloo cooler to mash in.I think beersmith tells me something a little lower but I`ve learned what the temp should be from experience.BTW I have never mashed out ( I batch sparge ) but I think I`m going to start...I haven`t been completely satisfied with my malt profile in my finished beer and I wonder if this is the reason why.It takes me at least 30 minutes to drain first runnings and I haven`t started heating my boil until after the 3rd runnings have mostly drained, so the wort was at lower temps for at least 1 hour over and above my mash time.I`ll report back with results after my next batch.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #38
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4915 Times on 3564 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by bctdi View Post
193 deg. water brings it up to 167-168 pretty much every time for me....I use a 48qt igloo cooler to mash in.I think beersmith tells me something a little lower but I`ve learned what the temp should be from experience.BTW I have never mashed out ( I batch sparge ) but I think I`m going to start...I haven`t been completely satisfied with my malt profile in my finished beer and I wonder if this is the reason why.It takes me at least 30 minutes to drain first runnings and I haven`t started heating my boil until after the 3rd runnings have mostly drained, so the wort was at lower temps for at least 1 hour over and above my mash time.I`ll report back with results after my next batch.
Please do report back! When I batch sparge, I always start my first runnings on to heat right away so the wort is nearly boiling by the time I drain the second round sparging. When I fly sparge, I always mash out.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #39
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bctdi View Post
It takes me at least 30 minutes to drain first runnings
Why?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:01 AM   #40
bctdi
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I always open my valve partially to avoid a stuck sparge.... Not that I ever have , but just to set the grain bed.... I may be able to go faster if I tried.

Quick Reply