Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 'Mash Out' - Necessary step?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Graeme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 'Mash Out' - Necessary step?

How many of you do a 'mash out' step? I'm still getting to grips with all grain having done just two batches, but in that time I've noticed that the water level starts to fall below the grain bed pretty quickly on my first runnings despite draining it at a nice slow space. I'm a bit worried about encountering a stuck sparge. Will doing a mash out make things a little more fluid?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Jknapp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I typically mash out when I'm brewing. I don't think it is always necessary, but when mashing with wheat or oats I think it is helpful. For most brew days, it probably isn't necessary, but I'm in the habit of doing it.

BTW, it also helps me get my temps back in line before adding sparge water if the mash temp has dropped a few degrees below what I was aiming for..

Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never bothered with a mash out.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I kind of do a mashout - I raise my sparge water to about 190F, which raises the mash to about 168. I find that it improves lautering. However, I don't think it's a necessary step.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

A mash out will also stop the enzymes working. So, if you have a malty beer that you don't want to dry out, a mash out will stop them instead of having them still working on the beer during the whole run off. If you want a very dry beer, though, you can do the opposite, no mash out and the enzymes will keep going during runoff.

Me? I do a mash out at 168.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I mash out. It stops the enzymes and the heat allows more sugar to be dissolved in the wort.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I asked Jamil about this in Milwaukee at the NB grand opening and he recommended to always do one.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 05-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I do one, especially now that I crush my own grain (which means I get a much finer crush than when I used the mill at my LHBS). I've found that mashing helps with the runoff, higher heat = more fluidity

Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Doing a mash out step will help with repeatability in your beers. As others have mentioned, it denatures the enzymes and locks-in your wort profile. If it happens to take you a while to lauter one day, the increased lautering time will not effect your wort.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Mitis Saxon (brewed @ Earth - Bread + Brewery), Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Conan DIPA, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 05-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #10
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If you batch sparge, I don't think a mashout is necessary. Adding hotter sparge water for the first batch performs the same function without wasting time. Buffman suggested the same procedure.
If you are fly sparging, I think it is a good idea. I'm not sure which you are doing.
You mention you are worried that the water level drops below the top of the grain bed, which would suggest a fly sparge; but you then mention the first runnings which would suggest a batch sparge.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply