Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Mash options for first Hefe???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
2thumbsup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

The receipe I've cobbled together (stolen) from others is:

7# German Wheat
4# German Pils
.5# Rice hulls

.75oz Hallertau or Tettnang (I haven't decided yet)
.25oz Hallertau or Tettnang (I haven't decided yet)

Wyeast Bavarian Wheat #3638

Coupled with the step mash of 131 - 145 - 158

I can't wait!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

We just judged the German wheat a rye club only comp for our club and the landslide winner used a decoction mash.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
andreas23
Recipes 

Infusion mashing is good enough for your first Hefeweizen. Decoction improves the malt character and body, both of which don't play a huge role in the taste profile of a Hefeweizen.

What's much more important is a 30 minute rest at a temperature of 45°C (113°F). This will improve availability of ferulic acid and/or (depending on complicated conditions that you should just ignore in the beginning) glucose sugar, which, in combination with just the right strain of yeast, will produce the clove and/or banana aroma so typical for this style.

Last edited by andreas23; 11-24-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
2thumbsup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hefe Brew day update. It was quite the adventure, to say the least. While developing the final recipe, I read somewhere on HBT that Beersmith struggles with step mash temps and ratios...I still forged ahead. Well, whoever wrote that statement was RIGHT!! Hit my protein rest temp of 131, went to add addtional strike water to bounce it to 145...fail!! the volume and temp of water recommended by Beersmith only raised the mash temp 6 degrees...this is where the fun started. I drew off about 20% of the wort into a stainless pot and put it on the stove top and took it to 205 degrees and added it back to the mash. That mini-decoction brought the mash temp up to 147 degrees. Ended up having to do something very similar process to get the final rest temp up to 158 degrees. While it was quite the adventure and I won't know what I really have until I taste the final product, my original gravity was nearly dead on and the color is exactly what I expected. Will definitely keep everyone posted.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
bb239605
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas23 View Post
What's much more important is a 30 minute rest at a temperature of 45°C (113°F). This will improve availability of ferulic acid and/or (depending on complicated conditions that you should just ignore in the beginning) glucose sugar, which, in combination with just the right strain of yeast, will produce the clove and/or banana aroma so typical for this style.
If i am not mistaken, which can happen, the ferulic acid is only a percursor for the clove flavor and aroma, which is a phenolic. isoamyl acetate (or something like that, I dont have my brew science book on me for reference) is responsible for the banana smell, which is an ester.

Quick Reply