Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Mash Hopping with an Overnight Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default Mash Hopping with an Overnight Mash

I am brewing a bitter this weekend, and I have become such a fan of overnight mashes, that I built a mashtun out of a very expensive, stainless steel, insulated coleman cooler. I will lose less than 5 degrees in 12 hours with this mash tun, enough about my baby.

I love me a nice hoppy, bitter. So I have been doing alot of first wort hopping and the results are nice, but now I am thinking of combining my overnight mash with mash hopping. I would expect that the 8-12 hours rest with the hops would yield a much better extraction of hop oils and other delicious compounds than the usual hour, but I have never done this before.

has anybody ever combined mash hopping with an overnight before or have an opinions regarding this technique?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hour long do you usually FWH. An overnight mash would certainly extract more hoppy goodness but I dont know at what point it just wouldnt be worth it to mash any longer. I think you should do a little research with mash time vs. FWH extraction and report back to us, so we can try it.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
permo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

FWH hop lasts just the amount of time it takes to collect the first runnings , second running and come to a boil I guess. I do overnight mashing all the time, but never had I added mash hops to this process. I am hoping that the results would be great, I haven't been able to find any information on doing both, but lots of information on one or the other.

I am going to try this for sure, and in a month or two, hopefully I remember to post my findings.

Quick Reply