Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Maple syrup to nut brown

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
joshuaua
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maple syrup to nut brown

Still fairly new to home brewing. Only on my third batch but I'm doing a nut brown and was considering adding maple syrup to it. Any suggestions to when, what type of maple syrup, and how much to add? I've heard talks about adding to secondary but that's really all I know so far...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 249

you'll want to use B grade, not A, if you can. add after primary fermentation has started to die down, typically 3-5 days after pitching yeast.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
joshuaua
Recipes 

So, should I add the syrup into the secondary upon rack from the primary? Do you know where I can find the correct syrup and how much should be added for a five gallon batch?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 249

you will want to heat up the syrup with a little water until it's about 160-170*F and keep it there for 5 mins to sterilize it. don't boil it, as you'll lose aromatics. yes, add when racking to secondary... if you do that thing. there is no real need to move to secondary, leaving beer in primary for a month won't cause any problems (whereas racking to secondary introduces additional risk of oxidation and infection). i would just add it to primary after fermentation has died down. you can buy grade B at most grocery stores, it's actually the cheap stuff. grade A is the fancy stuff, so grade B should be cheaper. all bottles must indicate what grade they are, so have a look at the label. how much? depends what you're going for, and the recipe it's being added to. post your recipe.

also, this question has been asked many times on this board. use the Google search function (click the down arrow beside the word "Search" at the top of the page) for better search results.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Quick Reply