The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Making Extract More Fermentable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResumeMan View Post
So what would happen is that the amylase enzymes in the grain that you mash the extract with would break down some of those bigger sugars into fermentable ones, just as they do in a regular mash.
This noob would guess that enzymes convert starches into sugar, not sugar into other types of sugars.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
This noob would guess that enzymes convert starches into sugar, not sugar into other types of sugars.
No, the sugars can be broken down further sometimes. That's the purpose of mashing for 90 min. as opposed to 60, for instance. But in extract you often have things like crystal malts and dark malts that are largely unfermentable. Those won't be affected by "mashing" the extract. I've known a few people who've tried this and haven't reported success. All I'd like to see is evidence that it works.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I base my extract recipes on extra-light DME just to avoid fermentability issues, it seems to ferment well enough.

I can see this working though, given the order of a typical step mash where you get a lot of simple sugars firt, then some larger stuff that adds body. Remashing at the lower temp with new malt is key since the beta-amylase in the original wort is destroyed by the higher temps favoring alpha-amylase.

And yes there will be some stuff that remains unfermentable but considering the real extract of a typical 75% apparent attenuation brew can have 35% unfermentables (Noonan's Lager book says 40% more than apparent), it might be that a good portion of those could be converted with the extra enzyme.

I've always thought the beta and alpha temp optima were backwards with respect to how I'd like them to be.

Quick Reply