Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Making Extract More Fermentable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Making Extract More Fermentable?

Anybody heard of this? I brew AG, but this is interesting for extract/partial brewers I think.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/arc...il12-31-07.mp3
This is Jamil's Belgian Golden Strong show, the relevant info starts ~28 minutes into the show. Essentially you do a mini-mash with the extract, and the enzymes in the grain(2-row,etc) make the extract more fermentable. He also talks about using Beano pre-boil, to break down the long sugars, and then when heated(boiled) the enzymes will stop so you don't go too dry.
Maybe everyone already knows this, but I thought it was intersting. This thread may belong in the extract section, but it is a technique after all. Mods, feel free to move if you desire.
Someone(not me) should do an experiment making half a batch with extract as is, and then the other half doing the mini-mash thing and see which ends up with a lower FG.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I didn't listen to it yet, but the theory is interesting. I've only heard of bean-o post fermentation, when your real FG stops at like 50% on a normal ABV style beer. Of course the problem is overly dry beer because you lack the control of destroying the enzymes with heat.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

You can stop [alpha]-galactosidase (Beano) by heating the brew to 56C and holding it for 15 minutes. This should be done a few points above your TG, as there will be some fermentable sugars still in solution. It's not hot enough to mess up the beer, but you do have to be careful to re-cool without splashing.

Alpha-amylase concentrate is probably a better approach. It has a branching limit.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That definitely sounds do-able. Bring a small volume of hot water up close to boil, add your extract, and add cold water until you hit 150. Throw a pound of 2 row in a grain sack and steep it at 145 like you would any other adjunct. Wash it out after, IDK, 30-60 minutes, and crank the heat. I suppose you could throw the wort in a cooler with this grain sack and sparge through a strainer right into the cooler. Dump the sparge into the boil pot.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
komomos
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
You can stop [alpha]-galactosidase (Beano) by heating the brew to 56 C and holding it for 15 minutes.
How could we say it? Isn'T 56 C is the best temperature for a-galatosidase?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

I just don't see how you can make the extract more fermentable. It's already been mased and boiled...the fermentability is fixed. Did he give any examples of actually trying this or is it just a theory? The Beano, maybe....

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
Guess42
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The idea would be to remash the extract, though I imagine the enzymes would be very dilute. Then again they don't have to do much work. Theoretically it could be possible. Couldn't you just add sugar to a bgs ale?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Replace 10-15% extract with corn sugar in the recipe.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess42 View Post
The idea would be to remash the extract, though I imagine the enzymes would be very dilute. Then again they don't have to do much work. Theoretically it could be possible. Couldn't you just add sugar to a bgs ale?
I understand what the idea is, but consider this....the reason the extract doesn't ferment further is becasue there are unfermentables in it (duh!). So, what will you remash if the sugars aren't fermentable? The theory has been around a long time, at least 10-15 years. I haven't seen people rushing to do it, and those that have tried it haven't reported any positive results.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I understand what the idea is, but consider this....the reason the extract doesn't ferment further is becasue there are unfermentables in it (duh!). So, what will you remash if the sugars aren't fermentable? The theory has been around a long time, at least 10-15 years. I haven't seen people rushing to do it, and those that have tried it haven't reported any positive results.
I have no experience with this either (never heard of it till this thread...). But the idea is that there are unfermentable...sugars...in the extract. So what would happen is that the amylase enzymes in the grain that you mash the extract with would break down some of those bigger sugars into fermentable ones, just as they do in a regular mash.

Again, I don't know if it works, and I'm not particularly interested in trying it. But the point of mashing is to transform long-chain carbohydrates into smaller ones, so I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work in this case.

Quick Reply