Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Making dark candi sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Trillium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The OP was asking about “Making Dark Candi Sugar" and inverted caramelized sugar is definitely not the same. Sure its good enough as an adjunct but not as a substitute.

Very Cool MCWILCR, you are a lot further along than I am. I read a blog somewhere of a guy who actually grew his own Sugar Beets and tried to make refined sugar. His experiment failed to make refined sugar, but I noticed that the syrup that he boiled down turned a rich dark brown/black color and looked exactly like Dark Candi Syrup. I will try to make a friendly call to a commercial sugar beet refiner to see if I can get some of their syrup before they refine it.

Diammonium phosphate (DAP) is not a derivative of amino acids. It is a salt. It is produced by reacting ammonia with phosphoric acid.

I doubt it's worth the cost to make my own, I just enjoy trying to solve a mystery and the challenge to reproduce it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply