Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Making a big yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #11
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I added 2 more quarts of wort this morning and am boiling two more quarts now.

I'm torn on whether to bring it upstairs where it's warmer. It's about 58F where it is now. I've read conflicting reports on whether to ferment a starter at pitching temps or room temps.

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #12
nostalgia
Recipes 

I'm bringing it up to room temp for tonight. I'm going to stick it in the fridge in the morning so it has at least 24 hours to settle.

If I wasn't going to brew on Sunday I'd leave it at cellar temp longer.

-Joe

Old 04-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
baer19d
Recipes 

I got my 5l flask from Northern Brewer for $29.00.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
mandoman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

another thought....

I get 1 gallon (~3.75L) apple juice glass jugs from a buddy who drinks it. They work just fine on my stir plate although the bottom is a bit rounded.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
nostalgia
Recipes 

I got mine from Midwest. Paid about $40. I remembered seeing the one at Northern but couldn't remember where I saw it Oh well.

Looking good. Just popped it in the fridge. I'm hoping to get a good settling by tomorrow. Otherwise I may have to push off my brew day. Learning by doing

-Joe

Old 04-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
nostalgia
Recipes 

Well, my fridge smells like fermentation, there's bubbling in the starter and a nice layer of yeast on the bottom. I'm guessing that means now would be a good time to pitch!

I'm going to try to decant most of the wort off, since the starter is so big.

-Joe

Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #17
nostalgia
Recipes 

It really needed another day or two to settle - those lager yeasties didn't want to floc out

So I ended up sanitizing my 2l flask and pouring the first two liters off into that, which I popped back on the stirplate. I dumped about another 1l down the drain and pitched the bottom 2l into my Oktoberfest.

So I'm quite hopeful that there was a large enough yeast colony there, but just in case I'll have the 2l backup ready.

-Joe

Old 03-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #18
platypotamus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

question about stepping up your yeast starter size... should you let the krausen fall back in, before adding more wort? or just take it off the stirplate at some point and drop it in the fridge to let the yeast settle out, and then add the additional wort?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #19
SouthernYankee
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypotamus View Post
question about stepping up your yeast starter size... should you let the krausen fall back in, before adding more wort? or just take it off the stirplate at some point and drop it in the fridge to let the yeast settle out, and then add the additional wort?
I have the same question!
I just made a 1L starter lastnight and wanted to go up to a 2L size.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #20
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

I'd like to chime in and give a few pointers for using the PRC (pitching rate calculator) and doing a stepped starter. If we start with 5 gallons of 1.053 OG lager and one 25 day old liquid yeast pack, MrMalty spits out a 4.02L starter and 370 Billion cells needed. That would be for 1 yeast pack into 4L of 1.040 wort.

When you add your single yeast pack to a 2L starter, you can use the calculator to figure out how many cells are made. With the original numbers plugged in to the calculator for your beer, manipulate the OG and/or batch size until the starter size needed is 2L. Plugging in 1.0387 for the OG will do this. So, based on the viability of your yeast and the size of the first step starter (2L), the PRC says you've made 274 Billion cells.

Now, at this point you have 2 options for the second step up. Chill, decant and add an amount of 1.040 wort that we will calculate later, or add the right gravity wort so that when combined with the existing, you get a 1.040 resultant. I don't like having to calculate the resultant so I chill and decant to start over.

Using the PRC as we left it with the 1.0387 fake gravity, uncheck the "Calculate Viability from Date" box. We will now fool the calculator and raise the viability of our resultant first step yeast as if it were one super viable yeast pack. Raise the viability % until the "# Vials or packs needed without starter" goes to 1. This should be 261%. Now, put your gravity back to the real number of 1.053 and the PRC gives you the second step size necessary for 370 Billion cells which is only 1L. Until I learned this, I was over pitching.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Mitis Saxon (brewed @ Earth - Bread + Brewery), Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Conan DIPA, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Last edited by dstar26t; 04-16-2010 at 01:19 PM.
justkev52 Likes This 

Quick Reply