Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Making an "ALL" home brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #11
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceskier
I seem to recall something from one of Papazian's books about the Peruvian(?) corn beer recipe. The corn doesn't develop the enzyzmes required for starch conversion by malting, so the corn is chewed (in someone's mouth) and spit into a pot. The enzymes in the saliva convert the starches. The yeast source for this already delighful sounding brew? The feces of an unweaned infant child. Turns out the yeast in the feces is our good buddy saccharomyces cerevisiae.
It's Chicha.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicha
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 02:17 AM   #12
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The barley & hops would be easy enough. Malting barleys run 4000 lbs per acre, so you wouldn't need too much space. They are both heavy feeders, so throw in a few cows. They can eat the stalks, trub & spent grains.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 AM   #13
Rook

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can understand the OP's idea with this post. its not that unlikely that we could all be thrust into a post apocalyptic world in the not too distant future. (tinfoil hat is ON, by the way). And to be able to do the full process from start to finish would be pretty effing invaluable in the future no-tech trader/hunter/gatherer society. If I could make my own beer out of my property, I'd be a very hot commodity in a world that doesn't have money anymore.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #14
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I will be trying to make beer from my own ingredients in the not too distant future. Since good yeast is so critical I plan on using commercial yeast, but may do a culture from a previous beer to make it feel more my own. The hops are easy and I am lucky that my father raises malt barley. The tricky part is the malting and removing the grasshopper guts from the raw barley (I think vegetarians would be appalled if the knew how many bugs get smashed against grains before it is screened)

Below are some links I have found on malting. I see no reason it can’t taste great. I think the only issue may be poor efficiency if the malting isn’t just right.

http://www.byo.com/feature/284.html

http://homebrewinghobby.blogspot.com/2007/03/malting-at-home.html

http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/floormalt.html

Old 05-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
Kadmium
Recipes 

A little known fact about the yeast cultivation and "spontaneous air borne yeast" is... well actually, breweries did not have their beer ferment from air borne yeasts. In fact, the breweries had wooden paddles with which they stirred their cool wort, and on these wooden spoons (in effect) that certain breweries strain of yeast was growing. So it was on these spoons that they handed down from brew master to brew master that they managed to get consistent, and DIFFERENT types of yeast propagation from brewery to brewery around the same town.

It is also why yeast was not included in that funny german law on another note, most of today modern yeasts are strains salvaged from those paddles, for instance kolsh and weinstephan....

just somthing for you guys to know but yes, wild yeast is yeck

Have a good one mate, K

Primary: Nierra Sevada

Carboy1: Sanitizer
Carboy2: Sanitizer

Kegged - Burnt down the Hause ale

Old 05-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #16
John Sanderson
Recipes 

I think some of you are begining to understand my thoughts here. But I want to go deeper. I AM talking Post apocalyptic. Nothing Commercial is possible. I would Have to "find" a yeast. Considering the grocery stores have been burned out from Neucular annialation, I could not get it there. So where would I get it?

How would I roast the Barley? Pan fried? How did they do it back before beer was commercially brewed? Back when Beer was a household staple like bread. Assuming the bread was unyeasted.

Lots to think about here. because after the bombs come.. I going to need a beer real bad. Of course I could just make a trek out to colorado and see if any brewmasters survived.. we could band together.

Perhaps the name of my brewery can be "first brewery of the apocalypse".

Last edited by John Sanderson; 05-30-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #17
John Sanderson
Recipes 

Aparently Lambic is brewed with wild yeast.
http://www.globalbeer.com/body_pages/pages-beer/Lambic.html

Perhaps you could get a good strain by leaving the wet paddle outside in an ideal environment to gather wild yeast. Or perhaps using some type of wood gatherd from the forest.

Last edited by John Sanderson; 05-30-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #18
jarrid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sanderson
because after the bombs come.. I going to need a beer real bad.

Personally, I would rummage thru the remains of every beer store i could find and try to find unmolested bottles of non-filtered brews, and cultivate from there. But that is just my "postmodern" approach to the end of the modern world.... you know; from the ashes springs new life... and all that hooey!

But barring that, I say where there's a will, there's a way. You'd develop a new strain of yeast for your post-apocalyptic brew. It might taste different, but sooner or later you'll get some consistency, and your palette will adjust.
PRIMARY: Accidental Pale Ale
UP NEXT/CONTEMPLATING: Trappist Ale, Old Ale, Coffee Stout
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: Do Re Mi Steam, Squarebird Porter
FORGOTTEN: Vanilla Weizen, Pale Ales, Brown Ales, a stout or two.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #19
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You wouldn't have much control. For instance, you could forget about keeping track of IBU's because you wouldn't know the alpha content of your hops.

You can forget about using a lot of adjuncts, at least at first, because you wouldn't know the diastatic power of your grains.

However, if you just want to make a good tasting beer, assuming you cultured your own yeasts and just use the basic malted barley, maybe some wheat, and hops, I don't think there would be any problem. I would say it is very doable.

And I bet the final product, after some practice with your ingredients, could be as good as any other homebrew.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #20
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I think you'll end up with a lot of sour beers, so I hope you like lambics!

Practically speaking (a ridiculous notion in this conversation, I know ), I think you'd end up making a lot of hard cider. Lots easier to collect and press apples than to malt barley, and lots easier to ferment.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply