Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Making an "ALL" home brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
John Sanderson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making an "ALL" home brew?

Just wondering.. But is is possible to make a Home brew... that tastes good, from ingredients gathered or grown completely on your own property? Using home grown Hops, barleys, wheats, naturally occouring yeast, well drawn water. I realize it is possible and probably how most ancient beers were made. But I am just interested in tasting a beer made with an ancient techniques/ingredients. But using modern equipment and sterilization and so on... I.e. I would like to in some way find the beer to be drinkable.

Just a post Dooms day expiriment I suppose. If all that was left was my family, could I truly make my own beer starting with good soil?? and more importantly.. would I like it?

what would this look like and how would I go about finding the right ingredents to grow. how would naturally occourng yeast be harvested or applied? where would I get the right grain? Wild grain? lots of questions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1520 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 957

Profound question.... I would have to say that this is, in theory, very possible.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

All that is possible. You can grow your own hops and barley. You have to learn to malt your own grain and roast your own malt, but there is info out there to learn about those things.

The one I would really worry about is the yeast. I would not be very excited about letting my home produced wort get ruined by some nasty local yeast.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Absolutely it is possible. You hear about all grain brewers testing their well water, culturing their own yeast, growing their own hops, even malting their own barley all the time. But that would be a lot of effort. I think we sometimes take for granted the work involved in the provision of our ingredients, like malts and hops. So perhaps it is worth thinking about what would be involved in truly doing a brew from scratch (just to be 'philosophical' about it, I mean!).

Old 05-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First off, yes, it's possible. Would it produce good beer? Probably not. Would it be prohibitively expensive to undertake such a thing? Probably so.

First off you'd need to have the land and the correct growing conditions for the barley, wheat and hops. Then you'd need to harvest and dry the hops, not that big of a deal. The big deal would come with the malting process. Professional maltsters these days make highly-modified malt, and they do it well. To get anywhere near their quality level would take a large investment of time and money on your part, I would guess.

And last but not least, the commercially available beer yeasts that are used to make the vast majority of beers today aren't the same ones that are floating around in the air. If you tried to naturally harvest wild yeast, you'd end up with something that, at best, resembled Belgian Geuze - very sour and dry. I've had batches get infected before, and they become just that---sour and dry.

So, yeah, possible, but not recommended. I had a friend who thought about doing this until I reminded him what an undertaking it would be to harvest and malt enough barley to make even a single batch of beer.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

If you culture your own yeast, which is easy to do, you would be OK on the yeast front. I was reading your post as asking if you could spontaneously ferment, like the Belgium brewers. That is what I would avoid. Culturing yeast yourself is a fun side line of this hobby and worth at least learning the basics of.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Yeah, the yeast is the difficult element - but if you can maintain an extremely sanitary environment, you can keep a strain going for a long time. I wouldn't toy around with wild yeasts unless you happen to live near a brewery in Belgium.

There are some brewers who have begun experimenting with malting their own barley, I think Basic Brewing Radio did a podcast on that sometime fairly recently. Now, how you would go about creating all of the different specialty malts one might like to have for a brew, that would be a challenge (kilning at precise temperatures, etc), but it's theoretically do-able - and just making a base malt is something that people do (although no one here that I am aware of).

I would wager than at least half of the "regulars" here have at least experimented with growing our own hops.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I see I misread the bit about the yeast. Yes, BrewPastor is correct that this could be the 'rate limiting step' in the all homegrown homebrew equation.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'd say yes. I know a guy that makes potato beer. Haven't tried tasting it yet so I can't say how good it tastes. Probably not that great he's more interested in alcohol level than great taste.

He use's Flischmann's dried yeast for both his wine and beer.

Also you could easily grow your own corn. But moonshine might taste better than the beer.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:28 AM   #10
raceskier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I seem to recall something from one of Papazian's books about the Peruvian(?) corn beer recipe. The corn doesn't develop the enzyzmes required for starch conversion by malting, so the corn is chewed (in someone's mouth) and spit into a pot. The enzymes in the saliva convert the starches. The yeast source for this already delighful sounding brew? The feces of an unweaned infant child. Turns out the yeast in the feces is our good buddy saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Quick Reply