New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Making 15 gallons of beer out of 10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
cabot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Making 15 gallons of beer out of 10

So I have a big party coming up and I want to brew 15 gal of beer to fill a sankey keg with. I've decided on brewing Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde, as it will be a big crowd pleaser. I have equipment to brew 10 gal batches...my thought is this:

I put the 5 gal recipe into Beersmith, and then scaled it to 15 gallons. It's a light enough beer that all this grain will still fit in my mashtun. Can I mash/brew 10 gallons this beer (with enough grain in there for 15 gallons)...boil and cool 5 gallons of water, add it to my fermenter (a 20 gallons food grade bucket), and then rack my 10 gallons of extra-strong centennail blonde onto the 5 gallons of water...leaving me with, if logic is serving me correctly...15 gallons of Centennial Blonde, at its proper strength/taste/etc. ?? Is there anything wrong with my plan here?

Thanks!

O'Maolagain Donegal Red

Go confindently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you imagined. - Henry David Thoreau

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabot View Post
So I have a big party coming up and I want to brew 15 gal of beer to fill a sankey keg with. I've decided on brewing Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde, as it will be a big crowd pleaser. I have equipment to brew 10 gal batches...my thought is this:

I put the 5 gal recipe into Beersmith, and then scaled it to 15 gallons. It's a light enough beer that all this grain will still fit in my mashtun. Can I mash/brew 10 gallons this beer (with enough grain in there for 15 gallons)...boil and cool 5 gallons of water, add it to my fermenter (a 20 gallons food grade bucket), and then rack my 10 gallons of extra-strong centennail blonde onto the 5 gallons of water...leaving me with, if logic is serving me correctly...15 gallons of Centennial Blonde, at its proper strength/taste/etc. ?? Is there anything wrong with my plan here?

Thanks!
Would it be easier to brew a 7.5 gallon batch at double strength then add 7.5 gallons of boiled and cooled water to the fermenter? I’m not a big math guy and think this would be easier.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
cabot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think that would be the same thing? The scaled recipe I am ok with, I just scaled it in beersmith so I know that's right. My question is that, assuming I scale the recipe correctly, is adding the 5 gallons of boiled and cooled water at the end going to cause any trouble. Again, beersmith did all the math for me, so I know I have the right amounts of grains and such.

O'Maolagain Donegal Red

Go confindently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you imagined. - Henry David Thoreau

Old 04-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Dauntless
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you can get away with it

You'll have to augment your hops additions because of lower utilization and you might get lower extraction efficiency.

I hear this is what Budweiser does.

Another starving grad student fighting sobriety.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Your hop utilization will be different because your wort will be more dense. You'll have to adjust the hop schedule.

How much is a different question.

Bull

Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Should work....might want to guess a few points low on efficiency to account for the extra thick mash/sparge due to the extra grain but no extra water...

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Not sure how concerned you are with hop utilization and efficiency but it's called high gravity brewing and it's what most--if not all--the big brewers do.

I would think your plan would be totally fine. It's also what some of us extract brewers are doing as well (me included, currently). Brew a smaller amount of concentrated wort and dilute to the desired fermenting volume.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
cabot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info folks. I feel pretty good about trying it out. I'll report back when its all said and done.

Gonna put 5 gallons on normal co2, 5 gallons on nitrogen, and gonna try to fruit 5 gallons with blueberries

O'Maolagain Donegal Red

Old 04-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Yeah, I think your biggest issue is that you won't be sparging very much so you're not going to get good grain conversion efficiency. You could always plan it with your normal efficiency and be ready with some DME in case you need to up it a bit. It would be too hard (impossible) to guess how much lower your efficiency would be so this is probably the best bet.

Just out of curiosity, what's your limiting factor? I assume you only have a 15 gallon pot? I did a 10 gallon Barelywine in a 15 gallon pot before by splitting the boil into two pots on two different burners. The bittering additions went into both pots but I poured the wort from both into one pot about 1.5 hours into a 2 hour boil (once some had evaporated) before it was time for the flavor/aroma additions. You could go ahead and sparge for 15 gallons, collect the extra in a bucket, and add it to the main boil as it evaporates. Whatever doesn't fit can go onto the stove and get boiled separately.

I guess what I'm saying is why boil a concentrated wort and water separately and then blend later when you could just as easily boil a concentrated wort (first runnings of the mash) and a weak wort (second runnings) separately and then blend them later.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
cabot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ajwillys, you're right, I don't think there is any difference other than IMHO convenience. I only have to monitor one boil, add hops to one boil, etc. It seems like it'd be less of a headache to me. I am thinking that no matter which of the above suggestions I use, they will all end up fairly close to the same. Boiling a strong, and a weak wort, then mixing them is pretty much the same as boiling a strong wort and then mixing with water no?

O'Maolagain Donegal Red

Quick Reply