Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Low-tech Fermentation Cooler?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderBrewer View Post
Wet an old t-shirt and put it over the fermenter so the ends of the shirt hang into the water tub. The water will wick up the shirt and cool the fermenter by evaporation.
THAT's a swamp cooler- using evaporative cooling. same reason sweat cools you, it requires (heat) energy to go from liquid to gas. that heat comes out of your beer. phase transition!! ice to water or water to vapor. wort to beer. sobriety to pleasantness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Honestly I have used the wet tee shirt method and the swamp cooler method too. Of the two the swamp cooler can give you a much lower ambient to wort temp. I have found that if all you need is a few degeee maybe 2-3 degree difference form ambient the wet tee shirt is excellent and effective but if you want to have lets say a 15 degree or more difference swamp cooler are the shiznat I have brought the fermenter temps down into the 50's when my ambient was 76 degrees !!!

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I am out of the house the majority of the week, so i just put the fermenter in a tub of water with a wet towel wrapped around it, and add no ice the whole time, would this do anything? If I could shed a few degrees off it'd be worth it to me...

I keep the house at about 73-75 degrees, so if I could get it lower, I'd be happy. But if I'm not adding ice, would it be worth it?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungking
I am out of the house the majority of the week, so i just put the fermenter in a tub of water with a wet towel wrapped around it, and add no ice the whole time, would this do anything? If I could shed a few degrees off it'd be worth it to me...

I keep the house at about 73-75 degrees, so if I could get it lower, I'd be happy. But if I'm not adding ice, would it be worth it?
Yes it would do something ..... It is called evaporative cooling. It's a pretty standard method of cooling before refrigeration was common. You will not hit swamp cooler with ice added differences but you can drop the temp by about appx. 5 degrees or so also of I could make a reccomendation it would be to add a fan blowing on the tee shirt / Carboy this would definitely help cool it more/faster.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
biohaz7331
Brew Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What I have found that works well is just having a A/C unit in my window and keeping the door to the room closed. Just having the A/C set at 68 keeps it at 68-70 degrees depending on what outside temps are currently running. Some one had also suggested to me that I just set my a/c unit up in a mini fermentation chamber but I pefer a slightly chilled room so this method kills two birds with one stone.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Well, I just want a low maintenance method for getting as cool as possible. I really don't want frigs or fans or ac units which will add to electric bills...just a cheap easy solution.

I guess I could add ice, but since I am gone half the day all the time, wouldn't this cause some temp swings, which would be unwanted?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
scottkct
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I realize you're trying to keep down the fuss but if you put your bucket in a large red clay pot and fill the void with sand and add water you have what you could call a Zeer Pot Fermenter. You may actually find it will drop the temp too much. Zeer pots can get the inside temp down to as low as 50 degrees with this method.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungking View Post
Well, I just want a low maintenance method for getting as cool as possible. I really don't want frigs or fans or ac units which will add to electric bills...just a cheap easy solution.

I guess I could add ice, but since I am gone half the day all the time, wouldn't this cause some temp swings, which would be unwanted?
You're adding ice to the water bath, not to the beer itself, so the temp won't swing much. 20 gallons of water and 2 plastic buckets can release or suck up a lot of heat without changing the temp a whole lot. Even if your yeast temp does fluctuate a few degrees, it's really not a big deal as long as it's always within the right range. Yeast aren't nearly as fragile as we make them out to be.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Quick Reply