Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Low efficiency, water report data

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
techprof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Low efficiency, water report data

I have been trying to nail down the cause of low efficiency for AG brewing. I have taken notes for all of my brews thus far and mash temps and batch sparge steps have been solid. I may just start using bottled water, but I am including my water report. Any ideas? I can't make sense of it.

water.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 158

I can barely read most of that, but it doesn't look like you have all the info there you need. There is a great water primer thread in the brew science forum.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I don't see anything on hardness or alkalinity in the report but the scan is hard to read. If you think you're having water issues, you could try bottled spring water for the next batch to confirm that your water is indeed the problem. There could be other process issues like water volumes, mlt/kettle loss, crush, etc that are more likely to contribute to low efficiency though.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
techprof
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Strangely enough my all grain brew today was the first batch (6th AG total) that all my numbers were good as far as preboil OG is concerned. The previous AG recipes were either ambers, pales or Belgian.

And the beer style today was a robust porter, 81% eff. with the mash ph at room temp showing 5.5 . Since I have hard water my lighter beer styles are getting low og due to high ph. Most likely will switch to bottled water when brewing a lighter style. Thanks for the input and please excuse any text irregularities due to typing this on my phone.

Quick Reply