Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Losing Efficiency Somewhere Between Lautering and the Boil...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Losing Efficiency Somewhere Between Lautering and the Boil...

So, I am losing about 7ish points of Efficiency in between my Sparging and the boil. Here are the specifics.

Into the Boil Kettle I had a Gravity of 1.056 with 7.55 Gallons of Wort. This relates to a pre Boil Efficiency of 80.71%. After the Boil I had 5.60 Gallons of Wort with an OG of 1.068. This realates to an actual Batch Efficiency of 72.70%. Only reason this bothers me is that when I first started AG'ing, I was getting an efficiency number of about 64%. I tweaked a few things, and I started getting around 80%. But ever since I have changed my Mash Tun, I have been getting lower and lower numbers with every batch. I know though that it can't have anything to do with the Mash tun as my Efficiancy numbers are on as far as Pre Boil. So then, WTF? Can anyone here explain to me as to shy I would be losing some efficiency during the Boil?

On DeckWitches Brew IPA
Primary Bee Cave Kolsch, Simcoe Sevada
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Bee Cave Kolsch
On Tap Bee Cave Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am eager to hear the responses to this...aren't you using a coleman cooler with a copper manifold??

Old 04-13-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Are you using a pump, counterflow chiller? Big hop bills? How much sludge are you leaving in the kettle? It doesn't take much wort loss to drop efficiency.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-13-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
RLinNH

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Using a Coleman Extreme 58 qt Cooler with a Gravity fed System. My lauter manifold is Copper. Still t

hough, why would this matter when I am losing my efficiency during the boil? Not being a wiseass, just asking a non sugar coated question.

On DeckWitches Brew IPA
Primary Bee Cave Kolsch, Simcoe Sevada
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Bee Cave Kolsch
On Tap Bee Cave Kolsch

Old 04-13-2008, 03:52 AM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Well, that is really impossible... if you are boiling off nearly 2 gallons, you should see at least a 17-20 point increase in the hydrometer reading. I cannot see how you could have a lower percentage of sugars in the same vessel when all you are boiling off is water.

Again, I have never tried to calculate my EFF prior to the boil, so what do I know?!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

You are either screwing up on one or both of your gravity readings, or one or both of your volume measurements. Like The Pol said, if you boil 7.55 gallons of 1.056 wort down to 5.6 gallons, you will have a gravity of 1.0755. Is your second volume simply how much beer actually makes it to your fermenter? If so, the difference in your efficiencies is the difference between mash efficiency and brewhouse efficiency.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Is the post boil # your intended Target?

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I guess like others have said, I can't see any way of losing sugars during the boil. You have a solution of a certain concentration of sugars, then you boil off water and end up with a lower volume of solution with a higher concentration of sugars. The only thing changing is the loss of water. I can't imagine anything else like hops or irish moss soaking up all the sugars. If I were to take a stab at this, I would look at how you're getting the pre-boil vs. post-boil numbers before looking at losing efficiency during the boil.

Aside from the numbers, it sounds like your mash tun change might be causing some problems with extract efficiency. What was you your old mash tun design and what's the new one?

Old 04-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You will lose some efficiency during the boil to absorbtion by the hops and dead space in the kettle and any other equipment. Switching from pellet hops to whole leaf will increase this loss. I usually lose 4 - 5%, but with IPA's (and a bunch of whole hops), this can increase to 6 - 7%

-a.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you're taking your gravity readings at mash temps and depending on the conversion calculators, be aware that they're off by a bit. It helps to cool your sample down to at least 100F, if not your calibration temp.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply