Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Looking for Bottle Carbing experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Looking for Bottle Carbing experts

Is there a site or book that really tells you all there is to know about bottle carbing.

Like how much is Corn sugar is needed for certain beers and how long it takes and all other of the hundred questions I have.

For instance.

I have a brew with 3.8oz corn sugar for carbing.

24 days - nothing yet. I SHOULD have something right - and if so why do some beers take 2 weeks and others longer ??? ??

I also have a Porter with 2.6oz (as recommended) and after 6 weeks nothing!! You would think I would have SOMETHING.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

There's several threads and posts, and even a blog of mine about that very topic...if you'd actually use the search feature instead of starting a new thread everytime you want info (and calling anyone who dare suggest that you use the search feature a "search nazi" like you did to me once) you might actually find that there's a wealth of information ALREADY on here....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
issack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have never measured sugar for bottling. I have just been using the coopers drops and it works perfect every time..

Fermenting.American Pale Ale 14 gal. with simcoe and cascade hops.

Marion berry, blackberry mead 7 gal.
Raspberry mead 7 gal
Watermelon mead. 7 gal
Blueberry mead. 7 gal
White pineapple mead. 6 gal

Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I use The Beer Recipator - Carbonation for my calculations.

When I was starting out, I think the following two sites were really the best, most informative reference for me:
Priming Procedures and A Primer on Priming (They contain a lot of the same info, but have a few differences between them)

This thread is helpful too: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/how-...gar-use-40646/

As far as the two beers in question....... well, "the norm" says you should probably have carbonation by now. So let's start with a few questions, and see if we can uncover what's goin' on with these two "misbehavers", shall we?

First up, you said you used corn sugar/dextrose. How'd you mix it in? Can you tell me about your procedure for priming, right before you bottle?
Second, how long did the beer sit in primary/secondary before bottling? I know you've been brewing batches pretty rapidly, so I don't suspect it was more than a month. But sometimes, if let to sit for more than 6 or 7 weeks before bottling, the yeast can drop out, and not leave enough healthy cells to convert the priming sugar. Rare, but possible.
Third, how's the beer taste? Is it sweet? Do you have reason to suspect that the priming sugar is still there, in solution, and not converted? Or does it taste like it should, but flatter?
Fourth, how are you weighing out your sugar? Weight? Volume? Scale? Just curious - with dry powders, measuring can be a bit pesky.
Fifth, where/what temp are you storing these beers at? Cellar-to-room temp? Somewhere between 60*F-75*F? Temp can make the yeasties go sleepy, they might just need to be reawoken? (Probably not, but worth mentioning)

Let me know your thoughts on those ?'s, and we'll go from there. Sorry your beers aren't cooperating with you!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Revvy - blah blah blah.

you are the ONLY person on this site that irritates the hell out of me.

Thanks Chriso for being an adult and answering the question instead of aggressive pompous reaction.

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
First up, you said you used corn sugar/dextrose. How'd you mix it in? Can you tell me about your procedure for priming, right before you bottle?

pour the mixture into the mixture as the wort is spinning into the bottom of the bottling bucket.

Quote:
Second, how long did the beer sit in primary/secondary before bottling? I know you've been brewing batches pretty rapidly, so I don't suspect it was more than a month. But sometimes, if let to sit for more than 6 or 7 weeks before bottling, the yeast can drop out, and not leave enough healthy cells to convert the priming sugar. Rare, but possible.
Third, how's the beer taste? Is it sweet? Do you have reason to suspect that the priming sugar is still there, in solution, and not converted? Or does it taste like it should, but flatter?

For the beers in question 3 weeks in carboys. Does not taste that sweet.

Quote:
Fourth, how are you weighing out your sugar? Weight? Volume? Scale? Just curious - with dry powders, measuring can be a bit pesky.
Digital scale.

Quote:
Fifth, where/what temp are you storing these beers at? Cellar-to-room temp? Somewhere between 60*F-75*F? Temp can make the yeasties go sleepy, they might just need to be reawoken? (Probably not, but worth mentioning)
70 degrees
So nothing really stands out and looking at the 8 books I have inhaled I can not see anything that stands out.

I have the knowledge but not the experience.

Just curious if there were any in deph studies (which a search did not bring up YET).

and the search police are not active.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Revvy - ALL you had to do was send me to your blog (which was not found in a search) instead of being aggressive and condescending.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Revvy was feeling a little frustrated, that's all. Let's keep it civil, and not let this spiral into a flame war, and just focus on the issue at hand, which is carbonation. We can all get along.

Everything looks fine in your process. I don't see anything sticking out. More in a little bit, I gotta mash in. The propane burner waits for no ones!!1

edit: I'm gonna park this link here ( http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/..._Conditioning/ ) - I know you found it already Grinder, just for the convenience of future searchers.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yea - I'm sorry - wanted to delete my reply but no delete button on this forum.

His blog answered my questions sort of.

should be a sticky to his carb blog on this site.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Actually, as a Premium Supporter, you can delete your posts, just click Edit first. Then, at the bottom, a Delete button appears.

D'you think Apple Pie Amber Ale sounds good?

Sorry. I'm just second-guessing my recipe.

Damn these competitions. I always wind up making off-the-wall goofball beers for them, and it plugs up my beer pipeline. If I were brewing only for me, myself, and I, then I'd probably brew a SMaSH pale ale, and then a Hobgoblin, then another SMaSH, then more Hobgoblin, from now till the end of time.

*fret fret*

I hope I don't get another 12/50. That sucked.

Quick Reply