Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Long ferment, how long can it sit in primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 05:10 AM   #1
Lost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Long ferment, how long can it sit in primary?

So this is my first wheat batch (blue moon clone for a friend) and I had my first ever violent ferment (bubbled out of the airlock) and I've brewed more than a couple batches. Anyhow, this sunday will mark the two week mark and, as of now, it's still bubbling away about once per 30 seconds. The krausen still has not fallen though there is a fair bit of trub deposited on the bottom of the carboy. This dang wheat beer is breaking all the rules.

So, I'm heading home for Thanksgiving and won't be back until Sunday and I need to know if I should rack it to a secondary before I leave? I just can't imagine doing it until the krausen falls and I doubt it will by tomorrow morning.. but I also do not want soapy/off tasting beer.. so, how long can it sit on the trub? I've also heard two weeks is the limit though my ferments are all typically done by the 5 day mark at the latest. Maybe I've got some wild yeast in there fermenting away... I just haven't ever experienced this before. I'm currently holding temp at high 60's to 72F (wet towel) and using wyeast east california ale liquid yeast... should I maybe raise the temp to the 75F mark to ensure that the fermentation is over by the time I get back on Sunday? <--I'm thinking that's my best bet but I also don't want cloves or bananas in my beer.

Help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2005, 05:14 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like you can wait to rack on Sunday.

You should try to maintain about 68F for a bit of both flavors. Any higher you'll get banana.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:17 AM   #3
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just leave it in the primary. It'll be OK. If you can keep the towel wet while you're gone by placing the whole thing in a container of water, that will help to keep the temps down while you're away.

That california ale yeast is a clean fermenting yeast, I wouldn't worry about the clove and banana. It ain't gonna be there.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Quick Reply