Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Long conditioning, and the perfect pour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Long conditioning, and the perfect pour

An imperial stout that I brewed has excellent flavor and perfect carbonation out of the bottle. I carbed it with 1/4 cup of brown sugar in 4.5 gallons.
I intentionally shot low because I planned to condition it for 6 months, and, for the style, I wanted little carbonation.

When I pour it into a glass and let it foam and create a head, the resulting beer tastes less flavorful and flat.

Durrrrrrr... probably just a little low on the sugar, right? (please no one lecture me on kegging, I know I know)

Is a stout meant to be poured and foamed up? I am completely ignorant I must confess.

I had found that my IPA and my Mutt(1/2 american amber, 1/2 robust porter) greatly improve when poured into a glass and allowed to foam up to a nice head.

I suppose I should calculate future batches to be good from the glass, not the bottle?

This batch is being enjoyed from the bottle, but I miss the head........
(did I really say that?) cheers.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
Is a stout meant to be poured and foamed up? I am completely ignorant I must confess.

I suppose I should calculate future batches to be good from the glass, not the bottle?
Yep - too little carbonation, by the time you have your head, all th CO2 is out of the beer.
. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
HBDrinker008
Recipes 

Quote:
I think most people pour into a glass so as not to arouse the yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle. At least I do.

Quick Reply