New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Lingerie laundry bag as hops bag...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Lingerie laundry bag as hops bag...

We've got a couple very coarse mesh bags that are maybe 12" X 6", that are made for laudering delicates in the washing machine.

I'm eyeing them as hops bags, especially for dry-hopping with whole hops. The coarse mesh should allow plenty of contact with the wort while holding most of the leaves in. I'm thinking I could put the bag+some marbles in the carboy (rolled back over the opening), stuff the hops in, and then draw it closed.

I may try it for boiling as well. Since we have two, I think I can pilfer one more-or-less unnoticed.

(Of course, I'd gladly keep my mitts off these if it meant they were actually getting use to wash the kind of stuff I wish she had to wash more often, but that's another matter.)

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I guess I'd be a little worried about using those in the boil. What are they made out of, nylon or something like that? I'd be worried about it sitting on the bottom of the pot and either melting or scorching. Grain bags are cheap enought where I don't think I'd chance it.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Melting & too much debris would be my two concerns. The trick to hopping with bags is, keep it loose! Over-packing a bag will limit the utilization more than anything else.

I suspect those bags cost ten times as much as hop bags would. Anything having to do with women's undies is pricy.

The key to ladies' delicates is SOFT! Most of pretty stuff is stiff & scratchy.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 07-17-2006 at 04:09 PM.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Of course, I'd gladly keep my mitts off these if it meant they were actually getting use to wash the kind of stuff I wish she had to wash more often, but that's another matter.
You're not the only one with that problem - lol

Now that I've got kids, any alternate uses for lingerie related items is going to be of more use to me than the intended purpose. Right now, all that stuff is nothing but a drawer filler.

Quick Reply