Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Life Latch® containers for primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Life Latch® containers for primary?

I know people sometimes have issues getting the lids onto their fermenters tightly. I saw these (looking for grain storage myself) and wondered if anyone had tried them for fermenting in. Simple to drill a hole and add a stopper and airlock, and easy to get a seal, made of HDPE like the other buckets according to their site. And only 8.72 for a 6.5 gallon bucket from usplastics

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=2 0329&product_id=11823

As I said I think I'll be buying a few for bulk grain storage. I can easily fit a 55 lb bag of grain in two of these.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 579 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
I know people sometimes have issues getting the lids onto their fermenters tightly. I saw these (looking for grain storage myself) and wondered if anyone had tried them for fermenting in. Simple to drill a hole and add a stopper and airlock, and easy to get a seal, made of HDPE like the other buckets according to their site. And only 8.72 for a 6.5 gallon bucket from usplastics

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=2 0329&product_id=11823

As I said I think I'll be buying a few for bulk grain storage. I can easily fit a 55 lb bag of grain in two of these.
I like those. I think they'd work fine for fermenting. The dolly they recommend would be a good idea if you're using them for grain storage.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
jay075j
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I only use these as my primary fermentors. I love them! I actually get them from my LHBS. All that I did was just drill a 1" hole in the lid and use a air lock with a stopper. Works great!

These are the exact ones that I use: http://www.m-m-industries.com/catalog/screw_top_pail/6-5_Life_Latch_Screw-Top_Pail.htm

Jay

"All right, brain, I don't like you, and you don't like me, so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Old 07-02-2008, 03:51 AM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't remember where but on another list somebody said the other day they were using one of these as a primary and was about to order a whole pile of 'em. They must work OK.

- Eric

Quick Reply