Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Life of a barrel (brand new)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #11
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Jdhasse, do you have a 15 and 53 gallon barrel?

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
Bourbon is basically oak-flavored vodka. So adding bourbon to a barrel will give you oak-extract flavored oak. Each successive use of the barrel will leave you with less oakiness than before, but you can restore the barrel to first-use condition by charring the inside. However, barrels are a lot of work to maintain, are easily infected and allow a lot of oxygen into the beer. They do make an awesome decoration and conversation piece, but for homebrewers, oak cubes or dowels are a much easier and cheaper solution for most beers.
I think that is my take away as well. Our homebrew club did a group buy so I got 2 barrels pretty cheap (~$55 each) and I actually just ended up selling one. They do seem like they might be more trouble than they are worth.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Tiroux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the replies...

Yhea, oak chips work very well but there's one thing it doesn't reproduce, and it's slow oxydation that provides some flavors too.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #14
jdhasse
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin
Jdhasse, do you have a 15 and 53 gallon barrel?
Yes, got a 15 from a small distillery in Iowa and recently a 53 from makers mark. Not sure exactly how i am going to fill 53 gallons but the opportunity arose and I snatched it up.

The point of my initial post was if a 53 gallon should last 5 or 6 before neutral I am hoping the 15 will last 3 or 4

Cheers!

Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #15
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhasse

Yes, got a 15 from a small distillery in Iowa and recently a 53 from makers mark. Not sure exactly how i am going to fill 53 gallons but the opportunity arose and I snatched it up.

The point of my initial post was if a 53 gallon should last 5 or 6 before neutral I am hoping the 15 will last 3 or 4

Cheers!
Awesome. I have a single 53. It had been used once for bourbon, probably only once again for whiskey, and maybe once for a beer. I say maybe because it still smelled of bourbon but I was told it had beer in it. I soaked it a few times and went straight to sour.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 04-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
LaFinDuMonde
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Not sure if you're dead set on a new barrel or not. But I would recommend a used one. Keep an eye on this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/5-ga...-stand-386723/

Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFinDuMonde View Post
Not sure if you're dead set on a new barrel or not. But I would recommend a used one. Keep an eye on this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/5-ga...-stand-386723/
Thanks for the link, but I guess they would not ship to Canada.

If I buy a Barrel, it's going to be a new one, so I would be able to use the full range of flavors. But anyways... it's still a project.. i'm sticking for oaks chips for now.

Quick Reply