The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Let's Talk about Session Beers!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
NTexBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Eulipion2,

Noticed that your recipes are BIAB. How much water do you mash in and how do you keep the temperature constant.

If you have a link to how you do it that would be great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexBrewer View Post
Eulipion2,

Noticed that your recipes are BIAB. How much water do you mash in and how do you keep the temperature constant.

If you have a link to how you do it that would be great.
First off, you don't need to brew the recipes as BIAB. They'll work just fine on your regular system as is. Make sure you use the appropriate hop schedule (chilling vs no-chill). If you want to go BIAB, check out THIS THREAD for more info.

I have a 17 gallon kettle, so I add all my water and grain. I use THIS CALCULATOR to figure out my total water needed and add that. You'll need to figure out the variables on your system, but once you do it gives fairly consistent results. If you use Beersmith or some other software and get accurate results, use that. Just remember that with BIAB your water absorption will be less than if you sparge (I set it for .08.)

To keep the temp constant I usually stir and check the temp every 10-15 minutes, turning on the heat when I need to, stirring constantly while the heat is on. In cold weather I might check even more often.

On-Deck: Quad; Oktoberfest; Mild

Primary: Mosaic pilsner; Saison Americaine; Tripel

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 10-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
NTexBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the link and explanation. I just do mini counter top mashing with a 2 gallon cooler so I only mash about 4 or 5 lbs of grains at a time.

To get us back on topic, I forgot that over the summer my son and I brewed a Saison Shandy. The goal was to produce a low alcohol shandy all in one bottle. The results were pretty good. It did not have too much lemon flavor but definitely had a tartness to it. Carbonated it on the high side and it had a great effervescent quality. The ABV came out at 2.6%. This is also the beer I use to "Toast the Beer Gods" when I'm doing early morning brewing.

Which makes me think that fruit beers are probably good candidates for session beers since you are trying to bring the fruit flavors forward and body may not be a priority.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
roastquake
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
Mash: 156 for 60 min
That's likely why it finished at 1.022. Mashes that high produce more nonfermentable dextrins. Next time go for around 152.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
NateLTB
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I brewed three 10 gallon batches of a session IPA right before summertime that was loaded with hops at the end of the boil. I used some Chinook for the bittering and then mixed Cascade, Citra and Nelson Sauvin for my end of boil hops. My buddies all loved it and I'll most likely be brewing it again next summer. It finished up right at 4% with 70 calculated IBU's. If you're a hop-head it was perfect for summertime.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLTB View Post
I brewed three 10 gallon batches of a session IPA right before summertime that was loaded with hops at the end of the boil. I used some Chinook for the bittering and then mixed Cascade, Citra and Nelson Sauvin for my end of boil hops. My buddies all loved it and I'll most likely be brewing it again next summer. It finished up right at 4% with 70 calculated IBU's. If you're a hop-head it was perfect for summertime.
Almost exactly what I was planning on doing, except I will bitter with Fuggles because I have a pound of them laying around. Plan to flavor and aroma with amirillo and Nelson Sauvin. That Nelson Sauvin is a really interesting hop that I have became a huge fan of recently. Expensive though. I've been having a lot of problems with my low IPAs coming out too sweet so I'm thinking maybe only 4 ounces of C60 or 40 this next time. I don't care for the sweet ones, I'm looking for a bright IPA, with a huge hop character. Was thinking 70 might be too bitter for such a low alcohol, according to some experts bitterness is perceived different depending on ABV, so I recalculated my recipe from around 70 down to 40. You didn't feel it had too much bitterness I'm guessing?

Who is John Galt?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 165

After reading about Belgian "table beers" and the saisons intended for workers I was inspired to brew one. I didn't use any crystal even, nor did I mash high, though of course those are good strategies.

What I did do was use unmalted spelt as about 1/4 of the grain bill because it supposedly contains even more proteins than unmalted wheat and there is a tradition of using unmalted spelt. I didn't even cereal mash, just a fairly long step mash and it seemed to convert just fine according to my efficiency calculations. The only other grain was pilsener and just a touch of Munich. A flavorful Belgian yeast doesn't hurt either It is just under 4%.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I really like the idea of having 3-4 beers at the house and only start to feel the effects. I brewed BierMunchers Nierra Sevada recipe back in spring and getting ready to brew it again to see if I can repeat it. Then I will try to get the ABV down closer to 4%

Basic Brewing Radio Sept 12, 2013 had Chris Lohring of Notch Brewing on talking about session beers.

His biggest point was that they have to use more of the specialty grains to get the flavor up.

Basic Brewing Radio MP3
Notch Brewing

Up Next: Pale Ale once things slow down on the weekends.
Primary: Empty
Secondary: 1 Gal Oaked JAOM (4/8/14)
Bottled: Vanilla Stout (5/18/14), Coffee Stout (6/22/14)
Aging: JAOM (4/8/14)
Drinking: Blend of 3 SMaSH's (Bottled Experiment)

Old 10-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 411

Like this thread. I've been trying over the last couple of years to keep more lower abv beers around.

I just did an Americanized version of JZ's dark mild. I tried something similar a while back but didn't end up liking it too much. I went overboard with amber malt and didn't have enough crystal I think. Changed it up a little and used American hops. I need to look at my recipe to remember what I did exactly. We'll see if it's any good first then I'll let you know.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
brewjack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

cool thread. Ive been playing around a bit with this lately. I've been doing a lot of parti-gyle batches, and find that I'm often more excited to try the little beer than the big one.
I did a little lager a while back, I think it weighed in at about 1.040. Super simple recipe, 95% pilsner and 5% CaraPils, hopped with Saaz (and some randoms in the bittering addition) and lightly dry hopped. Turned out really well.
Also did a berliner wiesse that was 3.7% ABV, that turned out great, (it was the -unboiled- second runnings from a hefe.) I pitched a kolsch yeast and a pure lacto strain rather then leave the fermentation entirely to chance. Only complaint with that beer was that it didn't carbonate the same way a normal yeast ferment would have- little flat even tho I added priming sugar to carbonate to 3.5vol!

Quick Reply