Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Let's talk about Foam Control drops (aka Fermcap)
View Poll Results: What do you think of Foam Control/Fermcap Drops?
I've tried it -- love the stuff! 403 31.68%
I've tried it -- meh. 48 3.77%
I haven't tried it, but mean to. 535 42.06%
I haven't even heard of this before. 152 11.95%
Don't put that in my beer -- Reinheitsgebot baby! 134 10.53%
Voters: 1272. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #71
seawort
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If anyone around the Seattle area knows of a LHBS that carries this please let me know. Otherwise... i'll be putting an order in to Northern brewer as I really gotta try this.

"I drank what?"
denny's rye IPA on tap
Nothing In the primary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #72
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've never tried it but I'm sure it works. I voted Rheinheitsghabut or however the hell you spell it...I do like the Rheinheitsghabutters do and add hops during lautering (FWH) which helps with initial hot break/boil over. Once the boil over knocks down there isn't really a problem and I do crazy hard boils, and I almost never get blow offs. (wish I did, I like the blow offs)
YMMV

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 10-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #73
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac View Post
Haven't had a problem yet!

Wait, they give awards for foam control? That's awesome!

j/k I'm jealous.
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum
isleofman Likes This 
Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #74
anderj

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Side note

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
I used it for the first time this weekend on a 13 gal boil (in a keggle). It worked as I expected it to to prevent a boilover, but a great side-effect was that i didn't have to keep scraping the hops off the side of the kettle back into the wort! I'm convinced. I'll be using it on all of my batches.
I have a good buddy who is a brewer for Bighorn Brewing, he comes by to sit in for brew sessions from time to time. While I was scraping hops back into the kettle he said that as soon as those things hit the wort, they pretty much do their thing so scraping them back in was not really that important.

$.02

ander

Old 10-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #75
seawort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderj View Post
Side note

I have a good buddy who is a brewer for Bighorn Brewing, he comes by to sit in for brew sessions from time to time. While I was scraping hops back into the kettle he said that as soon as those things hit the wort, they pretty much do their thing so scraping them back in was not really that important.

$.02

ander
I find that very hard to believe or we'd have alot of "tea bagging" brewers out there taking their hops out of the kettle as soon as they had done "their thing". While it may be true that once the alpha acids are out of the hops and into the wort you could take out the hops, it seems unlikely that the hops give up their alpha acids right away or you wouldn't have to dry hop for more than a few minutes to impart the hop goodness. Even with hop pellets I would expect a significant period of time would be necessary to extract the acids into the wort and you can loose a ton of hop material (especially using pellets) to that initial boil over. While I wouldn't get bunged up about scraping hop material back in I also wouldn't say it won't help your hop utilization and avoiding having to deal with it at all is pretty attractive.

"I drank what?"
denny's rye IPA on tap
Nothing In the primary

Old 10-24-2008, 02:48 AM   #76
anderj

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawort View Post
I find that very hard to believe or we'd have alot of "tea bagging" brewers out there taking their hops out of the kettle as soon as they had done "their thing". While it may be true that once the alpha acids are out of the hops and into the wort you could take out the hops, it seems unlikely that the hops give up their alpha acids right away or you wouldn't have to dry hop for more than a few minutes to impart the hop goodness. Even with hop pellets I would expect a significant period of time would be necessary to extract the acids into the wort and you can loose a ton of hop material (especially using pellets) to that initial boil over. While I wouldn't get bunged up about scraping hop material back in I also wouldn't say it won't help your hop utilization and avoiding having to deal with it at all is pretty attractive.
Key words here, "not that important" and also maybe if you were "dry hopping" at 212 you would only need a minute or so (hops at flame out)
-ander

Old 11-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #77
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighandsray View Post
I bought some Fermcap-S from Midwest this week. I took it out of the box and stuck it with my other ingredients on the counter. So yesterday I am going to brew up an American-ish Honey wheat and I finally get around to taking the bubble wrap off the bottle of Fermcap and it says "keep refridgerated"...Doh! So I am 1 inch from a big boil over and I put a few drop into the boil and instantly the foam goes totally away. Amazing. So now I have it in the fridge, but not having mine chilled for 5 days did nothing to harm it apparently.
You do not need to refrigerate fermcap. Just keep it below 85F. It probably is not a bad idea to refrigerate it though. Check this out for more info.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #78
p4ck37p1mp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone know if AB Vickers FoamSol is the same stuff?

-- "Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly."

Old 02-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #79
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

I lost my brand new bottle when I moved, so I still have not been able to try it out...

Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #80
carl spakler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What, if any, downsides are there to using fermcap?

Quick Reply