*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Let's talk about Foam Control drops (aka Fermcap)
View Poll Results: What do you think of Foam Control/Fermcap Drops?
I've tried it -- love the stuff! 399 31.62%
I've tried it -- meh. 48 3.80%
I haven't tried it, but mean to. 529 41.92%
I haven't even heard of this before. 152 12.04%
Don't put that in my beer -- Reinheitsgebot baby! 134 10.62%
Voters: 1262. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #211
johngaltsmotor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 25

should be able to, I recently did a 14gal boil in a 15.5 gallon keggle (never would have considered it without fermcap)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #212
brett1341
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't read through the whole thread and I know this is an old one, but I just started brewing a few months ago and after brewing several extracts batches, I went AG. I just finished a 60 min boil starting with 7.25 gallons in an 8 gallon kettle. I used Brew Haus anti-foam agent and never even came close to a boil over and I had it going pretty vigorously using a bayou Kab4 burner on full blast. Love this stuff and will use it on every batch from now on.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #213
rickprice407
Recipes 

Started using Fermcap with this latest batch. Did 4 1600 ml starters, 2 each of Wyeast 1388 and White Cry Havoc. One drop in each and foam stay at less than 2". Did 10 gallons of Kolsh and 10 gallons of Blond Belgian yesterday, pitched about 6 PM - added 10 drops (2 drops/gal) of Fermcap to each fermentor and they are bubbling like crazy this morning with about 1 to 2" of foam.

This will be a staple in my brewdays from now on.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #214
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

Been using it in all my batches in the fermenter for about a year. Seems to work great! When I have forgotten, I have blowoffs (13 gallons in a 15.5 sanke keg) and when I remember, they slumber quietly in the fermentation chamber Never tried it in the boil, but will from now on!

This is included in the midwestsupplies product description.... I was unaware of the change in bitterness!

Prevent boil overs on the hot side, add 2 drops per gallon for a nice rolling boil. On the cold side, Fermcap keeps the krausen in your fermenter to 1/2 an inch. Fermcap works very well for brewers who use a carboy for primary fermentation. In a 6 gallon carboy there is no need for blow off tubing when you use this product. Use only two drops per gallon at the start of fermentation. If you add Fermcap during the boil you do not need to add it again in your fermenter. Used in the fermenter, it increases the bitterness of your beer (retained IBUs) by about 10%! Enough for about 20 batches. Keep refrigerated. Size: 1 Oz.

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 03-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #215
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The bitterness is increased due to the lack of blowoff which carries some of the hops oils away, in German brewing texsts this sort of blowoff supposedly smooths out the bitterness.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #216
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbradford

This is included in the midwestsupplies product description.... If you add Fermcap during the boil you do not need to add it again in your fermenter.........

Is this a true statement? I thought I read here that this was not the case, That you have to re-add at the beginning of fermentation?

Anyone have experience with this?

Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #217
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 435 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Is this a true statement? I thought I read here that this was not the case, That you have to re-add at the beginning of fermentation?

Anyone have experience with this?
No, it's not necessarily always true. There have been many times I've added it to the kettle and still needed to add it to the fermenter.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #218
mxstar21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

No, it's not necessarily always true. There have been many times I've added it to the kettle and still needed to add it to the fermenter.
Me to.seems like I usually need to add it to the boil and fermenter.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #219
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxstar21 View Post
Me to.seems like I usually need to add it to the boil and fermenter.
My experience would agree with you, folks. I definitely don't get the fermcap effect in both the boil and the fermenter. I think the products naturally sinks to the bottom. So, if you let your trub settle out and rack off the trub into the fermenter then it gets left behind.

Anyway this stuff is great. I haven't really been using in my buckets because it doesn't matter, but I recently got a BB and cleaning all that yeast and krausen off the inside top of the BB is quite a pain. I did buy one of those carboy cleaners you hook up to a drill. I don't know why I waited so long. It pays for it self when comparing to the cost of constantly soaking in PBW.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #220
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RmikeVT View Post
I think the products naturally sinks to the bottom. So, if you let your trub settle out and rack off the trub into the fermenter then it gets left behind.
It's actually the opposite. It forms a thin skin on the surface, and clings to the kettle/fermentor wall as you drain them.

Quick Reply