Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Let's talk about Foam Control drops (aka Fermcap)
View Poll Results: What do you think of Foam Control/Fermcap Drops?
I've tried it -- love the stuff! 399 31.59%
I've tried it -- meh. 48 3.80%
I haven't tried it, but mean to. 530 41.96%
I haven't even heard of this before. 152 12.03%
Don't put that in my beer -- Reinheitsgebot baby! 134 10.61%
Voters: 1263. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #141
crimelabguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's info on baby antigas drops from the insert. Simethicone is listed as the active ingredient. fyi, polydimethlysiloxane = dimethlypolysiloxane

simethicone - A mixture of polydimethylsiloxanes with antifoaming and anti-bloating effects. Simethicone reduces the surface tension of gas bubbles causing them to coalesce into larger bubbles.

Primary: Air
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Ginger Dortmunder, Trippel, Trippel IPA, Blood Orange Wiezen
Future Brews: Dunkelweizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 AM   #142
wlk404
Recipes 

Any comments on Silicone and/or Propylene Glycol used in the yeast starter or brew kettle?

Thanks for your input.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #143
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlk404 View Post
Any comments on Silicone and/or Propylene Glycol used in the yeast starter or brew kettle?
dimethlypolysiloxane is composed of silicone in some large part

I wonder it it also decreases head. (NO~!! get your mind out of the gutter NOT THAT KIND OF HEAD~!!!)
If it reduces surface tension leading to lower incidence of boil foam and krausen it's pretty much an obvious a fortori conclusion that it'll carry over into the finished product.

I won't use it. I got enough crap in my food and water as it is.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #144
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff897 View Post
I wonder it it also decreases head. (NO~!! get your mind out of the gutter NOT THAT KIND OF HEAD~!!!)
If it reduces surface tension leading to lower incidence of boil foam and krausen it's pretty much an obvious a fortori conclusion that it'll carry over into the finished product.
Actually, it tends to INCREASE head. Read the early parts of the thread to find out why.

Quote:
There are lots of people with the same reaction as you. If the added convenience of it (magic stuff) is not enough to outweigh your fear of the product, then obviously there is no reason to use it.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #145
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlk404 View Post

Thanks for your input.
Sorry -- I can't help here. I have no knowledge of this product (except that silicone is a major ingredient in fermcap as well).

Old 03-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #146
crimelabguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As far as proplyene glycol goes it appears that it is used to add texture and foam

http://www.cbsbrew.com/Fiches/Fiches...tabilfoam.html

also it is know to absorb oxygen in water, this would affect the yeast negatively

Primary: Air
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Ginger Dortmunder, Trippel, Trippel IPA, Blood Orange Wiezen
Future Brews: Dunkelweizen

Old 03-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #147
SupraSPL
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanselv View Post
The major cause of foaming prior to the hot break is due to the protein not being fully coagulated. Once the colloidal protein coagulates and drops out in the hot break foaming is less of an issue. Since copper can hasten the process, I simply keep three or four pennies around by kettle. If the foaming becomes too intense I throw the pennies into the boil and watch the foam recede. Works every time and the pennies are reusable.
Interesting tip. For any brewers that try this, make sure the pennies are actually copper (1981 or earlier).

I recently gave RebelBrewer a try because they have great prices on DME. My first batches using wheat DME in place of wheat LME resulted in mega blowoffs (5 gal wort in 6 gal Better Bottle.)

Many posters assured me this was no problem, but I lost so much material from the blowoff I have to assume my brew has changed (lost bitterness as well as head retention and hazyness).

One small concern is that I do not use a bottling bucket (severe lack of storage space). I carefully stir sugar water directly into the primary and bottle from there. I assume that this will stir up some of the fermcap from the trub but I am willing to give it a try anyway.

Fermenting:

Bottled:
Wheat DME/Munich LME/Franco Belges Kiln Coffee /Hallertau/Hersbrucker/ 3655 Schelde
Wheat DME/Munich LME/Franco Belges Kiln Coffee/Hallertau/Hersbrucker/ 3068 Weihenstephan

Long Gone:
Wheat DME/Simpson's Coffee/Hallertau/Saaz/3655 Schelde
Wheat DME/Franco Belges Choc/Hallertau/Saaz/3638 Bavarian
Wheat DME/NZ Org Hallertau/3522 Ardennes
Wheat DME/Caramunich/Black Patent/Saaz/3655 Schelde
Wheat LME/Hallertau/3638 Bavarian
Wheat LME/Hallertau/3942 Belgian Wheat

Old 03-16-2010, 02:07 AM   #148
wlk404
Recipes 

Regarding my question about Silicone and Propylene Glycol being used as anti-foaming agent, which it works great for, here is what BrewCraft had to say:

Distilling conditioner is fine. Propylene Glycol is a very common flavour carrier in a wide variety of “Natural Fruit Flavors.” That’s not what it’s purpose is here – but, it’s pretty common. Silicon is fine too. It’s not “toxic”. You also shouldn’t use a ton of it, but it’s used commonly in commercial Spirits as a way to add “weight” and “Mouthfeel”. I’ve heard that it will give you a headache in large quantities, though. For the amount suggested in the instructions, it’s basically non-existent in the final product. I think a lab would have a hard time detecting it.

Thank you for the inquiry, though.

Cheers,

Adam J. Southard
USA SALES ACCOUNT MANAGER

Next time I'll use a drop or two instead of a capful, though.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #149
JoMarky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff897 View Post
dimethlypolysiloxane is composed of silicone in some large part

Dimethylpolysiloxane IS a silicone. Perhaps you meant that it is partly composed of silicon? Silicones are everywhere, Fermcap-S is my favorite use of silicones, but a tastefully done couple of implants can be almost as beautiful.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:35 AM   #150
tarponteaser
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lately I've been putting 5.375 gals in the fermenter, and bought some of the anti foam to put more wort in the fermenter without having foam go into the airlock when brewing high og batches.

I like the stuff..it works...I can 'squeeze' larger batches in a 6 gal bucket fermenter without worries of foamover.

My wheat IPA oozed foam for 3 days...had to remove the airlock and use a blow off tube...this would have prevented that episode and saved me a mess.

Quick Reply