Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Lengthy Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Exo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Lengthy Fermentation

I'll start with my recipe and some notes. A Pale Ale written by Greg Snapp. Greg owns the Homebrew store in Waukesha, WI called "Frugal Homebrewer"

1/2# each of Carapils and 30L Crystal
6# Light Extract

1oz Perle 50min
1oz Cascade 10min
1oz Cascade 3min steep
1oz Cascade dry-hop secondary

Grains were steeped 20min and removed prior to addition of LME.

All hops were pitched right into the kettle at appropriate times. Boil length 60min. According to ProMash, SG should be approx. 1.060. IBU's around 46. Some of the trub made it into the primary. Yeast is Wyeast 1056 smack-pack.

Primary saw some vigourous blow-off for ~2 days at 66degrees...but nothing like my 1007 German ale yeast which blew off nearly 1/4 gallon at 64deg!!

At 7 days I transferred to a secondary and just pitched the dry hop right in. Some very minor blow-off again, but mostly due to the dry-hopped pellets being at the neck of the fermenter. Once they sank, no probs. The ferment continued and I've got a 3/4" of a clean white "head" at the neck of the 5gal carboy. Had it ever since.

Now, at day 17 I got curious and stuck a flashlight on the carboy. Fermentation still going on for sure. Little yeast globs rising and falling. Tiny bubbles similar to carbonation in a pint are rising.

So...At 7days in primary and 10days in secondary...should I be worried that something is wrong? Or will this just be a clean, dry beer when the yeast infection subsides?

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Not to worry, 1056 is a high attenuator. Let it chug.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-17-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Ok, chug-a-lug!! It's a very proper-looking beer though the carboy. Can't wait to see the final gravity and the colors.

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 07-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
Slappy5555
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You hear about "off" flavors if your brew is left in the secondary too long, but really...how long is too long? Months?

Old 07-20-2006, 05:59 AM   #5
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Well, I'm coming upon two weeks in the secondary on these batches.

Still fermenting away...small bubbles rising constant. The beer has cleared considerably and it's a fine looking and smelling beer.

Bottled/Conditioning:
Drinking:
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Quote:

Old 07-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Perle & Cascade are excellent together. This should be a great beer, let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Well, it should be bottle day but it's still bubbling away! Grrr...

Bottled/Conditioning:
Drinking:
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Quote:

Quick Reply