Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Leaving the hops in during fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
PeteSkids
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Leaving the hops in during fermentation

Just a though that I'm thinking of trying next time I brew just to see what happens. If I skip the filtering out of hops from the wort and left them in during fermentation would I get any hop character benefits, or dose the boil take everything out of them?
If the schedule matters, in a 10gal batch I would be adding 2oz at 15min, 30min and again at 45min during a 1hr boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I always leave my pellet hops in the fermenter from the boil. It just seems like straining them all out before fermentation will result in less hop flavor. I don't strain out my dry hop either, my IPA's are great!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 02-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Aboo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default I don't.

I have never strained the hops from my wort post-boil. I have also only used pellet hops.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If you're looking for aroma and flavor contributions from the hops, those are long gone if you've boiled them. Hop oils are highly volatile in the boil. You'll want to add dry hops for aroma/flavor contributions.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
PeteSkids
Recipes 

Thanks guys

Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Aboo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke View Post
If you're looking for aroma and flavor contributions from the hops, those are long gone if you've boiled them. Hop oils are highly volatile in the boil. You'll want to add dry hops for aroma/flavor contributions.
I can understand aroma not being impacted by 60 minute boiled hops. But flavor? What is the point of adding hops at all to your beer pre-flameout then?

My understanding was that flavor and bitterness were added with early boil hop additions, and aroma was added with flame-out or post boil (including dry-hopping). Is that incorrect?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboo View Post
I can understand aroma not being impacted by 60 minute boiled hops. But flavor? What is the point of adding hops at all to your beer pre-flameout then?

My understanding was that flavor and bitterness were added with early boil hop additions, and aroma was added with flame-out or post boil (including dry-hopping). Is that incorrect?
You get flavor and aroma from adding hops late in the boil. But once you've cooled the wort, and added the yeast, you don't get MORE flavor out of them if you don't filter them out. They are done.
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboo View Post

Flavor is sort of a weird word in that it is a combination of things. Aroma is an aspect of flavor (just try plugging your nose the next time you eat or drink something), as is "taste" (the bio chemical reactions going on with your taste buds). It's the intermingling of these sensory experiences that create flavor. Some people would include "mouth feel" as well.

As Yooper mentioned, you'll get some flavor and aroma from hops at any point in the boil (e.g., Columbus at 60 minutes will be quite discernable from Saaz in a pale ale), but when adding early you're mostly going for isomerization of alpha acids (bitterness). The essential oils of the hops are highly volatile at boiling temperatures, so to extract more flavor and aroma you might want to try adding a decent amount of hops to your 0 min addition (and steep/whirlpool) and dry hop addition.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm no chemist, but a long time ago I figured that the hops no longer serve a purpose after the flame-out addition. AND, it's a lot easier to filter the hops pre-fermentation rather than at bottling/kegging. Additionally, I've never heard of a brewery leaving the boiled hops in the fermenter.

I brew a lot.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDuvel View Post
I'm no chemist, but a long time ago I figured that the hops no longer serve a purpose after the flame-out addition. AND, it's a lot easier to filter the hops pre-fermentation rather than at bottling/kegging. Additionally, I've never heard of a brewery leaving the boiled hops in the fermenter.
I never have to filter my hops out when I'm bottling, they end up at the bottom of the fermenter under the yeast and I siphon above them.

The big breweries don't have a choice, they ferment in large conical and if they don't dump the trub, the yeast will compact at the bottom of the conical and get too warm which will cause autolysis.

Quick Reply