Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > lagering without lagerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
sorefingers23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default lagering without lagerator

i want to start making some lagers, but i currently live in a small appartment, and dont have room for an extra fridge to make a lagerator. Is there any other way i can make lagers?? i live in montreal, canada, so the weather is getting pretty cold, so i was wondering, if i could keep my fermenter outside?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Where do you park your car??? I live in a loft, and "ghetto" lager in the winter in the storage cabinet in my loft building's garage, and one of them won awards a couple years back.

You'll need to come up with a way to protect it from the elements. Maybe even insulating a garbage can and sticking your bucket in that.

There's a couple threads that may help give you ideas.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/lage...7/#post1831665

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/lagering-garage-143786/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/lage...asement-75902/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/woul...agering-44696/

Some of these thread should give you an idea of what to do with some basic DIY.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i park my car outside, so the only place i would be able to do this would be on my balcony, i saw in one of the threads posted above, that i could put my fermenter in a garbage can or something similar, and add some water, with a fish tank heater, i think i might do some research on this and give it a shot.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefingers23 View Post
i park my car outside, so the only place i would be able to do this would be on my balcony, i saw in one of the threads posted above, that i could put my fermenter in a garbage can or something similar, and add some water, with a fish tank heater, i think i might do some research on this and give it a shot.
Balcony may be a better place, since it is probably more private.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply