Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Lagering in plastic pale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Mobstar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lagering in plastic pale

Good day.

Is it common practice to lager in a plastic pale or should I transfer to a carboy prior to lagering? I'm nervous about leaving it in there for 4 weeks. My recipe doesn't mention transferring to a carboy..

Thanks!

P.S. This is my first attempt at a Pilsner! I have a fridge to work with!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
CoolHandLuke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No worries about lagering in your fermenter (plastic pale). It's definitely more important to just lager it, than to worry about the container type (plastic, glass, primary fermenter, etc).

Enjoy!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Why would it matter if it is in a bucket or carboy? I've never lagered before, but I've sure make a **** load of ale in buckets and carboys. I personally prefer my buckets. I seem to make less mess. What's the difference other than the fermentation temps?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
JNish
Recipes 

The worry is that plastic does not completely provide a barrier to oxygen. Over time, oxygen can penetrate the plastic and oxidize the beer. I've been concerned about lagering in plastic buckets for this reason. However, oxidation reactions are also a function of temperature, and at lagering temperatures should occur very slowly. I'm not an expert on it, so I can't provide details on what rate oxygen penetration and oxidation reactions occur. However, the last lager I did was done completely in a plastic bucket for 2 months (1 month fermentation and 1 month lager) and it tastes great, no oxidation detectable.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Isn't the debate over oxygen permeating through plastic when you use bottles like those from the drinking water chillers and not Better Bottles or plastic fermentation buckets?

I had a German Altbier, yes an ale, but still, in a plastic primary for 8 weeks and it was one of the best beers I've made. I have a Rauchbier that's been in the plastic primary for the initial fermentation, a 3 day diacytel rest, and now is lagering between 41-45* and isn't showing any signs of doing anything but being awesome.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Mobstar
Recipes 

I was more worried about oxygen getting to the beer because buckets aren't airtight unless you snap the lid. Even then.. not as air tight as a carboy with airlock.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

I use a bucket for my ales, but use a carboy for my lagers. I feel it's safer for some reason.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4479 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

The worry isn't the permeability of the ale pail plastic- it's the wide headspace of a bucket that could be an issue.

Keeping a beer in primary for a few weeks is ok in a bucket- the wide headspace tends to be filled with co2 during fermentation. But since the beer is finished before lagering, I don't like the idea of lagering in a bucket at all. A carboy would minimize headspace, which is important after fermentation ends.

I leave my ales in primary for quite a while, but I'm more finicky with the lagers. I would never lager on the yeast cake. I would always rack to a carboy after the diacetyl rest, and lager in that carboy.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The worry isn't the permeability of the ale pail plastic- it's the wide headspace of a bucket that could be an issue.

Keeping a beer in primary for a few weeks is ok in a bucket- the wide headspace tends to be filled with co2 during fermentation. But since the beer is finished before lagering, I don't like the idea of lagering in a bucket at all. A carboy would minimize headspace, which is important after fermentation ends.

I leave my ales in primary for quite a while, but I'm more finicky with the lagers. I would never lager on the yeast cake. I would always rack to a carboy after the diacetyl rest, and lager in that carboy.
I have a lager going right now that finished the diacetyl rest on Sunday or Monday and is down to 41-45*F now. Still alright to rack to a carboy and then let it sit for 3-6 weeks?

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 02-24-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4479 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
I have a lager going right now that finished the diacetyl rest on Sunday or Monday and is down to 41-45*F now. Still alright to rack to a carboy and then let it sit for 3-6 weeks?
Sure! I like to lager one week for each 8-10 points of OG at 34 degrees. So, for an OG of 1.060, I'd lager for 6-8 weeks.

Quick Reply