LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
chalmer9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Default Lager techniques

Hi all.

I'm thinking about attempting my first lager. I have a mini fridge and am going to get a 2nd temp controller for it to lager the carboy. I tried YouTube'ing videos on lagering and didn't find anything that helpful as I did when I first learned how to brew ales.

My largest concerns are the decoction and multi step mashing. Is it necessary for lagers? I have read that it's the traditional method, but it seems like a pain in the ass if single step mashing produces similar results.

So basically I was just wondering if anyone had any tips and/or advice for me for my first lager. I have about 25 ale brews (mostly all grain) under my belt so I really just want to know what differences to expect.

Oh and btw I'm really wanting to brew a Dunkel, so if you know of a great recipe that would be welcome too, thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmer9 View Post
Hi all.

I'm thinking about attempting my first lager. I have a mini fridge and am going to get a 2nd temp controller for it to lager the carboy. I tried YouTube'ing videos on lagering and didn't find anything that helpful as I did when I first learned how to brew ales.

My largest concerns are the decoction and multi step mashing. Is it necessary for lagers? I have read that it's the traditional method, but it seems like a pain in the ass if single step mashing produces similar results.

So basically I was just wondering if anyone had any tips and/or advice for me for my first lager. I have about 25 ale brews (mostly all grain) under my belt so I really just want to know what differences to expect.

Oh and btw I'm really wanting to brew a Dunkel, so if you know of a great recipe that would be welcome too, thanks.
Few lagers "need" a decoction, although I'd argue that a Bohemian pilsner needs one! That's the only one I can think of that I'd do a decoction with, unless I had lots of time and the inclination to do one. A single infusion mash is fine.

The key to a good lager is pitching a HUGE starter. HUGE. Chill it, decant the spent wort, and pitch it into 48 degree wort and ferment at 50 degrees. That's really about it. It's not hard at all.

You can do a Munich dunkel, no problem. The grist is traditionally 100% Munich malt (or darn near), so it's not hard. Some pilsner malt is good, as is some crystal malt (but not too much crystal malt). A tiny bit of roasted malt gives the color- maybe carafa so you get color but not roasted flavors. Noble hops are expected, and I like tettnanger or hallertauer. That's it! A decoction is traditional, but you can make a very nice dunkel without one!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
chalmer9
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Few lagers "need" a decoction, although I'd argue that a Bohemian pilsner needs one! That's the only one I can think of that I'd do a decoction with, unless I had lots of time and the inclination to do one. A single infusion mash is fine.

The key to a good lager is pitching a HUGE starter. HUGE. Chill it, decant the spent wort, and pitch it into 48 degree wort and ferment at 50 degrees. That's really about it. It's not hard at all.

You can do a Munich dunkel, no problem. The grist is traditionally 100% Munich malt (or darn near), so it's not hard. Some pilsner malt is good, as is some crystal malt (but not too much crystal malt). A tiny bit of roasted malt gives the color- maybe carafa so you get color but not roasted flavors. Noble hops are expected, and I like tettnanger or hallertauer. That's it! A decoction is traditional, but you can make a very nice dunkel without one!
Thanks Yooper, that was very helpful!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
fixitoscar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

this was a helpful thread for me to figure out when to do what in fermentation and lagering.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/ferm...hedule-342075/

Quick Reply