Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Lager Still Fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
wruwtrix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager Still Fermenting

I brewed a (Midwest extract kit) Oktoberfest lager a few weeks ago and transferred it to secondary last night after 48 hours of diactyl rest at room temp. I noticed quite a bit of suspended yeast as I was transferring. now that it's in the secondary carboy, I'm getting a ton of bubbling at room temp still. Also noticed quite a bit of yeast settled out. should I wait for fermentation to slow down, move it to basement temp, or move it to lagering temp? should I move it into another carboy because of the yeast at the bottom? I appreciate anyhelp, first time lagering. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Was it at FG before you transferred it?

If not, wait until FG is reached and re-rack it.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
wruwtrix
Recipes 

It is 85% through fermentation. Reading into it elsewhere, as long as the brew is over around 75% through fermentation (OG-Grav@racking/OG-FG), it should be good to lower into lagering temp. I should have read the gravity before I racked it, but didn't, figuring it had been in primary for longer than planned. Tastes good so far, hah! Am going to slowly lower the temp instead of crashing it and see how i turns out (in you know, several months).

Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wruwtrix View Post
It is 85% through fermentation. Reading into it elsewhere, as long as the brew is over around 75% through fermentation (OG-Grav@racking/OG-FG), it should be good to lower into lagering temp. I should have read the gravity before I racked it, but didn't, figuring it had been in primary for longer than planned. Tastes good so far, hah! Am going to slowly lower the temp instead of crashing it and see how i turns out (in you know, several months).
If you didn't read the gravity how do you know its 85% through fermentation? don't lower to lagering temp til FG is reached. wherever you got that other info is bad. you move to diacetyl rest @75% not lager

Quick Reply