Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > To lager or not to Lager That is the Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Rudeboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default To lager or not to Lager That is the Question

I have a line on a chest freezer and am on the indifference curve as to whether I should turn it into a kegenator or a lagering chest. I realize a kegenator would probably give me more utility but I really want to be able to make a proper Bock for Springtime, and a Marzenbier for Octoberfest and a Bohemian Pilsner for summer.

Particularly in regards to the Boh Pil I’ve read the appropriate brewing procedure involves using Moravain unmodified Pilsner Malt which requires a multi step mash with decoction.

I don’t have the equipment/time/talent to go through that. I’m not brewing for competition and just want to be happy with my own results. If I use a modified Pilsner Malt and a single step Mash, no decoction will I still have a Bohemian Pilsner. Or will I have a nice beer but so far away from a real Bohemian Pil I might as well forget lagering and stick to a nice Blonde Ale?

Thanks

Rudeboy

Movementarians: Would you rather have beer, or complete and utter contentment?
Homer: What kind of beer?
Kegged Ready: Dry Stout; Vienna Calling; Heffeweizen
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine; Russian Imperial Stout; Wee Heavy; London Porter; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Magpie Rye Ale; Leffe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you can use a kegerator to lager man. depending on the size of the chest freezer you may have to pull your kegs for a few weeks to give space for the fermenter...but its totally doable.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
azmtnbiker
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You can make a very nice Bo pils from using a highly modified pilsner malt. I have made some with Wyerman's pilsner and will try another one with som Durst Turbo pils. I batch sparge and they turn out great. I know decoction is the traditional method but it is not needed if you don't want to do it.

You can use the kegerator for both depending on what size it is. It is nice having hombrew on tap.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmtnbiker
You can make a very nice Bo pils from using a highly modified pilsner malt. I have made some with Wyerman's pilsner and will try another one with som Durst Turbo pils. I batch sparge and they turn out great. I know decoction is the traditional method but it is not needed if you don't want to do it.

You can use the kegerator for both depending on what size it is. It is nice having hombrew on tap.
This is my take on it also. I have made good lagers from Weyermann and also from Gambrinus pils malts. There is a lot more than could go wrong other than not doing a decoction mash. Go with the KISS principal until you get your feet wet.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
casper0074
Recipes 

I chose the kegerator route because kegging is soooo much easier than cleaning all those bottles. I figured I would enjoy kegging some real tasty ales until I come across a bargain chest freezer for lagering.

Quick Reply