Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Lager fermenation temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 01:26 AM   #1
Kokamantratarius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager fermenation temp

So I started an oktoberfest beer yesterday, I'm making a Spaten clone with a couple substitutions, but to the point. I stuck a thermometer in a spair not plugged in fridge yesterday and it was a perfect temp of 55 right now the temp is at 63ish and it wasn't a hot day by any means, I'm not sure why the temp is so high in the fridge I am pretty sure it was hotter yesterday but anyways. Is mid 60's too warm for a lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 AM   #2
Kokamantratarius
Recipes 

I should mention that it seems to be fermenting very well, about an inch of foam and a bubble every 3/4 sec or so.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fermentation produces heat. I'm not sure if that would account for the change. Sounds like you need a temp. controller for that fridge.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
Kokamantratarius
Recipes 

I thought the heat might be from the fermentation but wasn't sure, it makes sense so I am sure thats the problem. My problem however is that I have no outlet for the fridge and my kegorator has a keg in it so I can't use that, I am thinking that tossing a bag of ice in there might keep the temp down. Any suggestions?

Old 03-27-2007, 02:29 AM   #5
mjm76
Recipes 

well ice could definetly help cool it down, I 've found that if you put it in a water bath that can help insulate it from quick, drastic changes.

Primary #1 Munich Helles

Primary #2 Nichts

Secondary #1 Nichts

Secondary #2 Mezza Luna Red wine (kit)

Secondary #3 Maerzen

Secondary #4 English Barleywine

Bottled: Traditional Dry Mead, Dry Cider, Honey Koelsch, Doppelbock, Barolo Wine

On the Horizon: Scotch ale, Rauchbier

Quick Reply